problem with installation on Windows 7

Vit Libal

Mar 23, 2014, 6:34:52 PM3/23/14
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hello,

On Win 7 (32b) machine with Java 1.7.0_51, following the StarDog Quick Start Guide, I was receiving "Error: missing `server' JVM at `C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.dll'.
Then, with JDK's server jvm I got "Unrecognized VM option 'UseCompressedOops'". After removing  "-server" and "-XX:+UseCompressedOops" options as suggested in another post in the forum, I got "Could not reserve enough space for object heap".

Any suggestions? (Except of "use appropriate machine for the job"... :-) )

Thank you!

--Vit

Mike Grove

Mar 24, 2014, 8:26:05 AM3/24/14
to stardog
On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Vit Libal <ginand...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

On Win 7 (32b) machine with Java 1.7.0_51, following the StarDog Quick Start Guide, I was receiving "Error: missing `server' JVM at `C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.dll'.
Then, with JDK's server jvm I got "Unrecognized VM option 'UseCompressedOops'". After removing  "-server" and "-XX:+UseCompressedOops" options as suggested in another post in the forum, I got "Could not reserve enough space for object heap".

That sounds like the default heap, 2G, is too large for your machine.  You can obviously reduce that to whatever would be most appropriate for your system.

Cheers,

Mike

--
-- --

Vit Libal

Mar 27, 2014, 3:56:08 PM3/27/14
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hi Mike,
Thank you for your answer.
I have tried to play around with STARDOG_MEMORY, but none of the values helped to any change. The conclusion here probably is that Stardog requires a large memory (and 64b machine). I have tried on 64b with plenty of memory and Stardog smoothly runs there...
Cheers,
--Vit

Al Baker

Mar 27, 2014, 5:13:17 PM3/27/14
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hi Vit,

The correct environment variable is STARDOG_JAVA_ARGS.  If you take a look in the stardog-admin.bat file, you'll see that if it's not set, it defaults to assigning 2 GB to the server.  Our recommendations for memory usage are in the Capacity Planning portion of the documentation [1].

On the other end of the spectrum, we have run Stardog in some small foot print environments, such as a 512mb RAM virtual machine. There, we ran Stardog in embedded mode, inside a Spring app, hosted in Tomcat.  The overall foot print was ~380mb, but the data set was small (< 10k triples).

Regards,
Al

Vit Libal

Apr 4, 2014, 6:05:48 PM4/4/14
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Thank you Al. It works!

Summary of changes to java arguments that I had to make (in stardog-admin.bat AND stardog.bat):

- remove "-XX:+UseCompressedOops -server"
- replace "-Xmx2g -Xms2" by "-Xmx200m -Xms200m"

Cheers,
--Vit