Stardog-2.0.3 Web console won't load?

edan...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2013, 4:38:05 AM11/25/13
to sta...@clarkparsia.com

Hi

I am having trouble entering the web console. I have been using Stardog 1.1.3, and want to migrate to 2.0.3.

I have followed the quick start guide, but I'm getting three problems:

  1. After creating database, I get: "Your platform does not provide complete low-level API for accessing direct buffers reliably. Unless explicitly requested, heap buffer will always be preferred to avoid potential system unstability"
  2. Example query on myDB returns zero results (but other db's do work)
  3. When navigating to http://localhost:5820/myDB the web console does not load. This is what console shows from Firebug in Firefox:

Could this be a conflict with the old Stardog installation? I have updated STARDOG_HOME environment variable.

Would be great to get some help with this, thanks.

Cheers
Edan

Mike Grove

Nov 25, 2013, 5:14:10 AM11/25/13
to stardog
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:38 AM, <edan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

I am having trouble entering the web console. I have been using Stardog 1.1.3, and want to migrate to 2.0.3.

I have followed the quick start guide, but I'm getting three problems:

  1. After creating database, I get: "Your platform does not provide complete low-level API for accessing direct buffers reliably. Unless explicitly requested, heap buffer will always be preferred to avoid potential system unstability"
This is a warning printed from Netty indicating that your system does not support sun.misc.Unsafe, which is something they use heavily, when available, to boost performance.

  1. Example query on myDB returns zero results (but other db's do work)
It could be that that is the expected result.
  1. When navigating to http://localhost:5820/myDB the web console does not load. This is what console shows from Firebug in Firefox:

Nothing was attached.

Could this be a conflict with the old Stardog installation? I have updated STARDOG_HOME environment variable.

No.

Cheers,

Mike

--
-- --

edan...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2013, 9:13:19 PM11/25/13
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Sorry, here are the screenshots from firebug:

https://db.tt/JdPVTSyj
https://db.tt/a0eqUFB6

Thanks

On Monday, November 25, 2013 9:14:10 PM UTC+11, Michael Grove wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:38 AM, <edan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi
> I am having trouble entering the web console. I have been using Stardog 1.1.3, and want to migrate to 2.0.3.
>
> I have followed the quick start guide, but I'm getting three problems:
> After creating database, I get: "Your platform does not provide complete low-level API for accessing direct buffers reliably. Unless explicitly requested, heap buffer will always be preferred to avoid potential system unstability"
>
> This is a warning printed from Netty indicating that your system does not support sun.misc.Unsafe, which is something they use heavily, when available, to boost performance.
>

> Example query on myDB returns zero results (but other db's do work)
> It could be that that is the expected result.
>
> When navigating to http://localhost:5820/myDB the web console does not load. This is what console shows from Firebug in Firefox:
>

> Nothing was attached.
>

> Could this be a conflict with the old Stardog installation? I have updated STARDOG_HOME environment variable.
>

> No.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Mike

Fernando Hernandez

Nov 25, 2013, 10:10:00 PM11/25/13
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hello Edan,

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM, <edan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry, here are the screenshots from firebug:

https://db.tt/JdPVTSyj
https://db.tt/a0eqUFB6

Thanks

Judging by the screenshots and your other email you're likely to be using OpenJDK/OpenJRE, which Netty had an issue with in a previous release. We just recently upgraded Netty per another report so we can include the fix in the next Stardog release.

In the meantime you can switch to Oracle's JVM and that should fix it.

Cheers,
Fernando

edan...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2013, 7:11:12 AM11/26/13
to sta...@clarkparsia.com, fern...@clarkparsia.com
Hi Fernando,
Perfect! switching to Oracle JVM worked.

I have another problem however, deploying Stardog unsecurely (using --disable-security option) with Apache using reverse proxy. I would like to deploy Stardog 2.0.3 for use with Pubby and Snorql, both were succesfully configured to work with Stardog 1.1.3. It used to be activated with:

ProxyPassReverse /myDB http://localhost:5820/myDB

but now the page returns blank, no web console. When I navigate to the query page locally, I notice it redirects to http://localhost:5820/myDB#!/query but adding #! to the proxypass doesn't work. Do I need to escape those characters?  Am I setting this up correctly?

Thanks again

Edan

Mike Grove

Nov 26, 2013, 10:17:58 AM11/26/13
to stardog, Fernando Hernandez
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:11 AM, <edan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Fernando,
Perfect! switching to Oracle JVM worked.

I have another problem however, deploying Stardog unsecurely (using --disable-security option) with Apache using reverse proxy. I would like to deploy Stardog 2.0.3 for use with Pubby and Snorql, both were succesfully configured to work with Stardog 1.1.3. It used to be activated with:

ProxyPassReverse /myDB http://localhost:5820/myDB

but now the page returns blank, no web console. When I navigate to the query page locally, I notice it redirects to http://localhost:5820/myDB#!/query but adding #! to the proxypass doesn't work. Do I need to escape those characters?  Am I setting this up correctly?

We're not really experts on Apache configuration, you're best off reading their documentation.

I will mention, the web console probably contains a superset of features of either pubby or snorql, so you may not need either.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks again

Edan

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:10:00 PM UTC+11, Fernando Hernandez wrote:
Hello Edan,

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM, <edan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry, here are the screenshots from firebug:

https://db.tt/JdPVTSyj
https://db.tt/a0eqUFB6

Thanks

Judging by the screenshots and your other email you're likely to be using OpenJDK/OpenJRE, which Netty had an issue with in a previous release. We just recently upgraded Netty per another report so we can include the fix in the next Stardog release.

In the meantime you can switch to Oracle's JVM and that should fix it.

Cheers,
Fernando

edan...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2013, 9:50:42 PM11/26/13
to sta...@clarkparsia.com, Fernando Hernandez
Thanks Mike, I will probably switch to using the Stardog web console. Any ideas how I can change the URL of the console to prevent it ending with the characters  #! ?

Cheers
Edan

Mike Grove

Nov 27, 2013, 6:09:36 AM11/27/13
to stardog
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM, <edan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Mike, I will probably switch to using the Stardog web console. Any ideas how I can change the URL of the console to prevent it ending with the characters  #! ?

You can't, that's just how it works.

Cheers,

Mike

Edan W

Dec 4, 2013, 11:21:20 PM12/4/13
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hi Mike, I have managed to set up an apache reverse proxy to http://localhost:5820/myDB#!/ with a mod_rewrite rule: RewriteRule ^/myDB$ http://localhost:5820/myDB#! [NE,P]  but now Stardog responds with:

Database 'myDB#!' does not exist.

But entering the same address locally on my server works. I think this may be a problem with Stardog rather than Apache. Any ideas how I can get it to work? Have others successfuly deployed the web console with Apache using reverse proxy? If so I'd like to know the configuration.  I'm really stuck with this. I have already asked my question on stackoverflow. I'd really appreciate some help.

Cheers
Edan

Mike Grove

Dec 5, 2013, 7:21:12 AM12/5/13
to stardog
On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Edan W <edan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Mike, I have managed to set up an apache reverse proxy to http://localhost:5820/myDB#!/ with a mod_rewrite rule: RewriteRule ^/myDB$ http://localhost:5820/myDB#! [NE,P]  but now Stardog responds with:

Database 'myDB#!' does not exist.

But entering the same address locally on my server works. I think this may be a problem with Stardog rather than Apache.

No, it's not.

Any ideas how I can get it to work?

My only guess is that your proxy setup is incorrect.  The relative part of the URL is never sent to the server by your browser but Apache is sending it directly through, which is not correct.  The "#!" should not be in the proxy rule.

Cheers,

Mike