Stardog pauses for 13 seconds after every 16,000 requests

Benjamin Geer

Jan 27, 2015, 8:04:12 AM1/27/15
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hello,

We're encountering a performance issue with Stardog 2.2.4. In a test with four concurrent clients doing SPARQL queries, Stardog consistently pauses for about 13 seconds after approximately every 16,000 requests. All pending requests are delayed while these pauses are occurring. All other requests are completed very quickly (in an average of about 7 ms).

We're testing on Mac OS X machines (3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB RAM).

Here's a ZIP file containing the test data and scripts:

Steps to reproduce:

1. Make sure you have Python 3 and the requests package installed.

2. Install the provided stardog.properties in $STARDOG_HOME.

3. Run ./create-test-db.sh to create the test database.

4. Open four terminal windows and run ./testit.py in each of them, so that they run concurrently.

The attached screenshot shows the result.

Best regards,
Benjamin Geer
Digital Humanities Lab
University of Basel

stardog-performance-issue-screenshot.png

Mike Grove

Jan 27, 2015, 8:17:42 AM1/27/15
to stardog
Thanks for the report, we'll take a look at get back to you.

Cheers,

Mike

--
-- --

Mike Grove

Feb 18, 2015, 10:49:53 AM2/18/15
to stardog
Hello Benjamin,

Thanks bug report and tests; I was able to reproduce the behavior with Stardog 2.2.4. The fix will be included in the next release.

Cheers,

Mike