slow commandline response times

joern...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2016, 10:03:08 AM2/25/16
to Stardog
Hi,

i'm currently testing stardog and have a couple of bash scripts that load data, create some users, set permissions etc.

I found that using the commandline the invocation times are always > 2 s, even for the simplest tasks (like granting a permission or even to get the help):

$ time stardog-admin help
usage

Commands are:
    cluster
Commands for working with Stardog Cluster
    db
Commands for working with databases
    help
Display help information
    icv
Commands for working with Stardog Integrity Constraint support
    license
License commands
    metadata
Modify the properties of a database
    query
Query management commands
    role
Commands for working with roles
    server
Commands which work with the Stardog DBMS server
    user
Commands for working with users
    version
Prints information about this version of Stardog.

virtual    Commands for virtual graph support

See 'stardog-admin help <command>' for more information on a specific command.

real
0m1.280s
user
0m2.640s
sys
0m0.224s

Is there something i can do to make this faster?

Context:
I'm loading several tiny n3 files into separate named graphs and then set different permissions combinations on them for a couple of users. It seems wrong to wait minutes for this...

Best,
Jörn

Evren Sirin

Feb 25, 2016, 10:30:23 AM2/25/16
to Stardog
You are right that there is a default 2sec wait time for the CLI
commands at the end which is very annoying. We are fixing this for the
next release. The only workaround right now would be to use the Java
or the HTTP API.

Best,
Evren
> --
> -- --

Zachary Whitley

Feb 25, 2016, 11:20:37 AM2/25/16
to Stardog
I had noticed this before but always assumed that it was simply JVM startup time. I actually tried using drip [1] to see if I could get a faster start up time but was unsuccessful. I assumed that it was either something other than JVM start up or that I had incorrectly setup Drip. It wasn't that important so I just moved on. Is there something else that's contributing to the start up time?

[1] https://github.com/ninjudd/drip

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Stardog" group.

Evren Sirin

Feb 26, 2016, 10:33:04 AM2/26/16
to Stardog
JVM startup time is typically the culprit but in this instance the
problem is slowness in JVM shutdown because a shutdown hook is holding
up everything. You'll notice that the CLI finishes its task, prints
its output and waits for a while before it exits. This is fixed for
the next release and Drip might provide some additional speedup on top
of that.

Best,
Evren

Zachary Whitley

Feb 26, 2016, 11:08:10 AM2/26/16
to Stardog
Jörn,

If you haven't been following the thread "Create default and named graphs in same command" you might want to take a look at that on now to bulk load a number of files into named graphs. That should cut down on the load time compared to loading a large number of small files one by one or you could convert them to a format that naively supports named graphs like TRIG or NQUADS and load it as a single file.

Hope that helps.