Advice/best practices for standing up a new project server?

John Clemens

May 26, 2020, 4:33:17 PM5/26/20
to boinc_projects
My apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Is there some up-to-date advice for someone scoping out resources to start
a new public project? Nuts and bolts information about setting up a public server.
What works and what doesn't in a modern (2020) world?

Anyone care to share their current server setup? Virtual or physical?
CPU/RAM/storage, etc? What is your typical and burst loads?  Network
bandwidth normal/peak? Does a CDN like cloudflare provide any benefit?

Any advice/war stories would be appreciated,
john.c

James Wanless

May 26, 2020, 5:21:40 PM5/26/20
to John Clemens, boinc_projects
This _is_ the right forum, I believe, even tho we all seem to have been posting a bit more in boinc_dev recently! :)
You may be aware, but if not this page might get you started with your query:

Sent from my iPad

James Wanless

May 26, 2020, 5:21:40 PM5/26/20
to John Clemens, boinc_projects
Knowing BOINC, it would get pretty big pretty quickly! :))). Especially if you published apps for mainstream OSs.
Since you asked originally for specific tips - here’s one:
I personally don’t trust SSH, though I’m probably alone in that...
PS btw, if you manage to get a server up and running on Buster, I’d be interested to hear how - I’ve yet to succeed there, though I’ve also yet to fully explore all the lines of enquiry

Sent from my iPad

> On 26 May 2020, at 22:03, John Clemens <cle...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm actually very familiar with that page, and using it and various other snippets around the net I have my own test server up and running on my internal network. The (old?) Debian BOINC server wiki pages are particularly helpful, if for no other reason than navigating the Trac wiki. I've also kept notes to document my adventure and post my experiences somewhere, including converting my code to run with BOINC and setting up the server.
>
> But taking the next step and going public has me wary, so I'm looking for guidance. I highly doubt my little research project would get big fast (or at all), but I'd like to not make any obvious mistakes.
>
> john.c
>
>> On 5/26/20 4:46 PM, James Wanless wrote:
>> This _is_ the right forum, I believe, even tho we all seem to have been posting a bit more in boinc_dev recently! :)
>> You may be aware, but if not this page might get you started with your query:
>> https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/ServerIntro
>> Sent from my iPad

John Clemens

May 26, 2020, 5:21:40 PM5/26/20