Milkyway running while in use despite preferences

David G. Pickett

Aug 13, 2022, 9:55:02 AM8/13/22
to BOINC Projects
This morning I logged in to see top says 2 milkyway procs are running, despite my computing preferences local of not computing when in use.

I notice the preference have a new line that makes no sense to me: Suspend when no mouse/keyboard input in _0.00_ minutes.  When does that apply?  It is not on the help screen, not that the help explains any line (Advanced means you should be able to guess?).

Charlie Fenton

Aug 13, 2022, 6:20:02 PM8/13/22
to David G. Pickett, boinc_projects email List
On Aug 13, 2022, at 6:54 AM, 'David G. Pickett' via boinc_projects <boinc_p...@ssl.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> This morning I logged in to see top says 2 milkyway procs are running, despite my computing preferences local of not computing when in use.

This is most likely a problem with the Milky Way application not responding to BOINC's instructions to stop, or being slow to respond. In that case, the problem is with the Milky Way tasks, not BOINC. But if you have your preferences set to leave tasks in memory while set, they would still show up in Tops, though their CPU time should not keep advancing.

> I notice the preference have a new line that makes no sense to me: Suspend when no mouse/keyboard input in _0.00_ minutes. When does that apply? It is not on the help screen, not that the help explains any line (Advanced means you should be able to guess?).

All the items on that dialog have tooltips, If you hover over "Suspend when no mouse/keyboard input in _0.00_ minutes" you will see the explanation "This allows some computers to enter low-power mode when not in use." When set, it stops BOINC processing after the specified time when the computer has been otherwise idle for that length of time, to allow the computer to "sleep."

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
--Charlie

David G. Pickett

Aug 14, 2022, 6:17:14 PM8/14/22
to Charlie Fenton, boinc_projects email List
No, taking real time, no check box leave tasks in memory.

So I do not have the low power thing, but the use of this line is still vague?  Do you set a number in there in case you want to suspend for low-power mode?  The help pages should be at least as helpful as the rollovers?

I posted something in Milkyway's News Forum.