Computer with both NVidia and AMD/ATI Video Cards

Charles Elliott

Dec 27, 2021, 5:59:07 AM12/27/21
to boinc_p...@ssl.berkeley.edu

Hello:

                I have a computer with the following video cards installed:

AMD/ATI RX 580

Nvidia EVGA GTX 770

NVidia Tesla K80 (2 GPUs)

BOINC does not distinguish between the two brands of video cards, so it downloads almost 1100 workunits for the RX 580, runs them all at high priority and EDF, and then says “too many workunits” and refuses to download any WUS for the NVidia cards, after I finally found a driver for them.  So I will go for days before the NVidia cards will be used.  It is not BOINC’s fault that I had trouble finding a driver, but it is BOINC’s inability to schedule the much slower GTX 770 and K80s separately from the faster RX 580 that is the fundamental cause not being able to use the two NVidia cards.  This is the second time that the NVidia cards will go unused for days.  It means 50-100 workunits per day go unprocessed, and it is very discouraging.  The second-hand market for video cards is active and much less expensive than new GPUs.

It would be a great convenience if BOINC could treat the two brands of video cards like separate plan classes and schedule them separately.

Thank you in advance for your kind attention in this matter.

Charles Elliott