Task throttling oddities

David G. Pickett

Dec 10, 2021, 4:04:11 PM12/10/21
to boinc_p...@ssl.berkeley.edu
I have two current boinc hosts, an old 2 core linux box and a newer 8 core Win10 laptop (not Win11 approved).  While the 2 core machine runs 2 tasks pretty consistently, at one point one task using 2 cpus, the 8 core box has dropped to 3 tasks.  Perhaps that is for low RAM, but RAM throttling seems odd on VM boxes, esp. with a solid state disk for swap.  Is there an easy explanation on why I have so many unused cores?  I know GPU processing is popular but really, leaving money on the table.

Vitalii Koshura

Dec 10, 2021, 5:05:58 PM12/10/21
to David G. Pickett, boinc_p...@ssl.berkeley.edu
Hello David,

Unfortunately, without logs it's impossible to say what's wrong.
Could you please open BOINC Manager, go to 'Options' -> 'Event log options' and enable next 2 checkboxes:
- cpu_sched
- cpu_sched_debug
- cpu_sched_status
.
Then wait for a while for this situation to happen again, and send us a message with attached log files.
After that we can take a look and say what's wrong with your configuration.

Have a great weekend and stay safe

Best regards,
Vitalii Koshura

пт, 10 дек. 2021 г. в 22:04, 'David G. Pickett' via boinc_projects <boinc_p...@ssl.berkeley.edu>:
I have two current boinc hosts, an old 2 core linux box and a newer 8 core Win10 laptop (not Win11 approved).  While the 2 core machine runs 2 tasks pretty consistently, at one point one task using 2 cpus, the 8 core box has dropped to 3 tasks.  Perhaps that is for low RAM, but RAM throttling seems odd on VM boxes, esp. with a solid state disk for swap.  Is there an easy explanation on why I have so many unused cores?  I know GPU processing is popular but really, leaving money on the table.

David G. Pickett

Dec 10, 2021, 6:33:22 PM12/10/21
to David G. Pickett, Vitalii Koshura, boinc_p...@ssl.berkeley.edu
2021-12-10 (1).png
2021-12-10.png

Vitalii Koshura

Dec 10, 2021, 7:29:38 PM12/10/21
to David G. Pickett, boinc_p...@ssl.berkeley.edu
Ok, so you have a memory issue. There are two ways to fix this:
1 - Go to Rosetta Project website and switch off their Python application (or stop crunching it for a while since they are all quite RAM greedy now).
2 - You can limit the amount of parallel Rosetta tasks that BOINC will run, you can read about this solution on this Reddit thread:

David G. Pickett

Dec 11, 2021, 6:27:00 PM12/11/21
to lestat.d...@gmail.com, boinc_p...@ssl.berkeley.edu
I went to manual page file size and set the max to 51200MB, but still running only 2!  Do I have to raise the min?
2021-12-11.png

Jérôme Cadet

Dec 12, 2021, 7:05:12 AM12/12/21
to David G. Pickett, lestat.d...@gmail.com, boinc_p...@ssl.berkeley.edu
Hi

Rosetta does not allow to select the sub-project you want to crunch AND limiting the number of tasks with app_config was a disaster for me (unlimited number of tasks sent to my machine).

There seem to be a fix but I didn't test it yet (cruncher other projects at the moment).

J.

Charlie Fenton

Dec 14, 2021, 7:25:07 PM12/14/21
to boinc_projects email List
Rosetta's Python application is also creating problems on my Mac. Unfortunately, Rosetta's project preferences on their website does not offer any way to disable individual applications.

I think the problem is that this is a task which uses VirtualBox, and that takes up a large memory footprint. Perhaps removing VirtualBox from the computer will prevent running Rosetta's Python application.

David G. Pickett

Dec 14, 2021, 8:31:14 PM12/14/21
to jerome...@pobox.com, lestat.d...@gmail.com, boinc_p...@ssl.berkeley.edu
I bumped the min to 16 GB VM but still not much running!

Einstein says ready to report but not reporting, no delay showing on project.

My old PC seems more attractive to work than my new one!