BOINC Manager - Crash on Windows 11 - Clicking top-left title bar menu

Jacob Klein

Sep 30, 2021, 6:05:10 AM9/30/21
to BOINC Alpha
I just noticed BOINC crashing on Windows 11. And I can reproduce it easily.

If you click the top left of the title bar, it's supposed to show a context menu.
Notepad, for instance, shows: Restore, Move, Size, Minimize, Maximize, Close.

When I try this on the BOINC Manager, it crashes.

C:\Users\jacob\AppData\Roaming\BOINC\stderrgui.txt
Full file attached.
===================
Unhandled Exception Detected...

- Unhandled Exception Record -
Reason: Access Violation (0xc0000005) at address 0x00007FF6939CEEC8 read attempt to address 0x000000D8
===================

Windows 11 releases in 5 days, on October 5th 2021.

Regards,
Jacob Klein
stderrgui.txt

Jacob Klein

Sep 30, 2021, 6:12:26 AM9/30/21
to BOINC Alpha
The same problem is happening on Windows 10 Release Preview builds too:
Windows 10 Build 19043.1263
Windows 10 Build 19044.1263

So, this bug isn't Windows 11 specific, but may still be a newer bug. I'm not sure.
Can it be looked into?

Sep 30, 2021, 6:20:02 AM9/30/21
to BOINC Alpha
Did a bit more digging.

Looks like the issue was captured in these tickets:

So I guess we're just waiting on a release that includes the fix.

Sep 30, 2021, 6:35:31 AM9/30/21
to BOINC Alpha, Jacob Klein
Yup. I did the pre-release testing on that PR, and it works. Seven months and counting.

Richard Haselgrove

Sep 30, 2021, 7:28:19 AM9/30/21
to BOINC Alpha, Jacob Klein
Unfortunately, the auto-generated 'artifact' produced by CI for that PR is no longer accessible - beyond its retention date.

But I've found the machine I downloaded and tested it on, and I can confirm that - as well as the Alt-space bug which was the primary concern at the time - it also fixes the 'click on icon' ("control box" in windows-speak) variant too.