BOINC 7.20.4 for Macintosh only

Charlie Fenton

Nov 13, 2022, 6:35:08 AM11/13/22
to boinc_alpha email list
Dear Mac alpha testers,

I have built a new hot fix release for the Macintosh only, BOINC 7.20.4.

The only changes from the previous 7.20.2 release should be to fix the "Show Graphics" functionality in BOINC Manager and to the screensaver under MacOS 14 Ventura. Please download and try <https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_7.20.4_macOSX_universal.zip> and let us know if you find any problems.

If you have access to run older versions of MacOS, please test that "Show Graphics" and the screensaver still work properly there.

Note: I have noticed that some World Community Grid graphics apps appear to be buggy. They sometime work and sometimes don't, both with this new version 7.20.4 and the previous version 7.20.2, sohat problem is not due to these changes in BOINC.

Thank you,
Charlie

Charlie Fenton

Nov 13, 2022, 7:34:50 AM11/13/22
to boinc_alpha email list
> MacOS 14 Ventura.
Correction: MacOS 13 Ventura.

Charlie Fenton

Nov 13, 2022, 8:07:17 AM11/13/22
to boinc_alpha email list
Please note that there is a known problem under MacOS 11 and later: the close button no longer works on some graphics apps, though it continues to work on others. It is unclear why.

Since the graphics apps are provided by the projects, we have no way to fix this at our end. Our solution (really a workaround) was to modify the BOINC Manager so the "Show Graphics" button changes to "Stop Graphics" when the graphics app is displayed.

On Nov 13, 2022, at 3:34 AM, Charlie Fenton <char...@ssl.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Dear Mac alpha testers,
>
> I have built a new hot fix release for the Macintosh only, BOINC 7.20.4.
>
> The only changes from the previous 7.20.2 release should be to fix the "Show Graphics" functionality in BOINC Manager and to the screensaver under MacOS 13 Ventura. Please download and try <https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_7.20.4_macOSX_universal.zip> and let us know if you find any problems.

Alex Piskun (Contact)

Nov 13, 2022, 9:22:52 AM11/13/22
to boinc_alpha, char...@ssl.berkeley.edu
Everything, including show graphics, seems to run fine at first glance on this very old 32bit mac that turned itself into Darwin 19.6.0
https://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/show_host_detail.php?hostid=906506

~Alex

Georges Vinotte

Nov 15, 2022, 7:34:36 AM11/15/22
to Charlie Fenton, boinc_alpha email list
Hi All,

Tested on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, no issues found. Show graphics and Screensaver are working properly.

Cheers,
Georges

Bill Barber

Nov 15, 2022, 12:23:51 PM11/15/22
to Charlie Fenton, BOINC ALPHA
Charlie,

I was unable to install 7.20.4. It requires Mac OS 13 or later. I have 10.12.6

Bill