Invalid client RPC password error

Eric Levine

Jul 31, 2022, 6:05:19 PM7/31/22
to boinc...@ssl.berkeley.edu
Hi,

Every couple of weeks or so (not regularly), the BOINC manager on my
Dell Inspiron 5515 Windows 10 system crashes and displays the following
pop-up message (attached):

BOINC Manager - Connection Error
Invalid client RPC password. Try reinstalling BOINC.

If I look at Task Manager when this happens (attached), I see that there
are several BHspin2_20_windows_x86_64 processes that have "Very high"
Power usage. These are coming from the Universe@Home project.

I'm currently running BOINC 7.20.2, but I've seen this problem on
previous versions as well.  It has not occurred on my Windows 11 system.

On Windows 10, I'm using the BOINCstatsBAM! project manager, and on
Windows 11, I'm using the ScienceUnited project manager.

I found some posts about this from October 2021, but they mostly refer
to Ubuntu systems.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this a bug with BOINC or with Universe@Home?

thanks,

Eric Levine
BOINC connection error message.png
BOINC Processes.png

Richard Haselgrove

Aug 1, 2022, 8:09:50 AM8/1/22
to boinc...@ssl.berkeley.edu
This sounds like a problem I've previously reported at https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/issues/4460.

I don't run Universe@Home, so I think we can rule out any direct connection with that specific project. But I think the underlying cause is likely to be similar. Both of us have commented on the correlation with very high CPU demand.

I suspect that when the CPU running the client being monitored is very busy, it fails to respond to a Manager RPC within the time expected. From that failure, it wanders down an inappropriate error pathway and displays an assertive, but totally inaccurate, error message. That's not good UI design.