Emergency client release for Windows

Richard Haselgrove

Oct 14, 2021, 5:36:14 PM10/14/21
to Boinc Alpha Mailing List

Please could Alpha testers start testing an emergency build of BOINC v7.16.20, designed to resolve the certificate expiry problems we've been encountering for the last couple of weeks.

The files are available from:

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_7.16.20_windows_x86_64.exe

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_7.16.20_windows_x86_64_vbox.exe

Make sure you download the versions datestamped 2021-10-14 14:16 - an earlier version contained an error.

I confirm the revised files resolve the certificate error, but I haven't tested further.

Alex Piskun (Contact)

Oct 14, 2021, 8:21:08 PM10/14/21
to boinc_alpha, r.hase...@btopenworld.com
Looks good at first glance. Will the Alpha Test website be set to report the results for this release?

Peter Jasion

Oct 14, 2021, 8:33:15 PM10/14/21
to Alex Piskun (Contact), boinc_alpha, r.hase...@btopenworld.com
Is it on Windows 10 and 11? Cuz I haven't had any issues at all on Windows 10...

Peter S Jasion

"The only thing constant is change..."

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

https://groups.google.com/a/ssl.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/boinc_alpha/a3489301-75d3-4305-9902-f486d9213093n%40ssl.berkeley.edu
.

Jord van der Elst

Oct 15, 2021, 5:29:09 AM10/15/21
to Boinc Alpha Mailing List
The only things I got across was the - for me - new "Windows protected your PC" message at installing this BOINC and the fact that installing the newer BOINC 7.16.20 over the older BOINC 7.16.20 didn't initiate a Repair option in the installer, but just followed the normal routine of installation.

The "Scheduler request failed: Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with given CA certificates" error has gone away, so thumbs up for that.

new windows protection message.png

-- Jord

Richard Haselgrove

Oct 15, 2021, 6:45:30 AM10/15/21
to Boinc Alpha Mailing List
I've done a number of installations, on both Windows 10 and Windows 7 - both allowing the installer to manage a running installation, and doing a manual un-install followed by a clean new install. No problems encountered. Auto restart after reboot also worked properly.

Minor comments:

Like Jord, this was the first time I'd seen the "Windows protected ..." message from Windows Defender, on Windows 10 only. I'm putting that down to a Windows 10 update: you can still run the file anyway after checking the details.

Letting the installer shut down BOINC leaves the Manager icon visible in the system tray, even though the Manager has closed properly (the icon vanishes on mouseover). That's probably been around for ages, but I don't remember noticing before. Not important.

I'd say this is ready to move into full public testing.

Richard Haselgrove

Oct 15, 2021, 6:52:32 AM10/15/21
to Boinc Alpha Mailing List
Responding to the overnight comments from other users.

1) Only David Anderson can add this version to the full Alpha test reporting matrix. I'll leave that to him.

2) There are a few new changes in this version, in addition to the urgent certificate update. None are of major significance at this stage, though some are in preparation for the next release. That should be "real soon now". I'll see if I can get a list.

3) Although I have a machine eligible for the Windows 11 update, it hasn't been offered to me yet. So, no specific testing there yet, unless others can report?

Jord van der Elst

Oct 15, 2021, 7:00:51 AM10/15/21
to Boinc Alpha Mailing List
About the Windows Defender message, the initial window only offers the "Don't Run" button. One has to press "More information" to get the "Run anyway" button to show as well, so it's not very intuitive for the majority of users.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/ssl.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/boinc_alpha/384b4459.2d5f.17c838e82d6.Webtop.87%40btinternet.com.
new windows protection message.png

Richard Haselgrove

Oct 15, 2021, 7:18:53 AM10/15/21
to Boinc Alpha Mailing List
We've had problems in the past with commercial stand-alone anti-virus products flagging new releases as untrusted, simply because they were new and untested by the technology. Let's hope the Windows Defender telemetry reports back to base that this one is OK, after it's seen it a few more times.

Jacob Klein

Oct 15, 2021, 8:05:27 AM10/15/21
to Boinc Alpha Mailing List, Richard Haselgrove
I report successful installation and running, of BOINC 7.16.20, on non-service installs, of:
  • Windows 10 version 21H1 (Release channel)
  • Windows 10 version 21H2 (Release Preview channel)
  • Windows 11 version 21H2 (Release channel)
  • Windows 11 Build 22478 (Dev channel)
I didn't thoroughly test, but things appear to be operating fine here.

Oct 15, 2021, 7:59:00 PM10/15/21
to boinc_alpha
I see no issues with Win7 or Win10 using either installer linked here.
Cheers!

Jord van der Elst

Oct 17, 2021, 7:57:45 AM10/17/21
to Boinc Alpha Mailing List
Via the forums we've been warned about this version at Softpedia that people are downloading: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/BOINC.shtml

Its size (12.8 MB) is more compliant with 7.16.16 than with 7.16.20
I have not downloaded that version, nor am I going to. Not sure if there's something we can do about it being there either, other than to warn people not to get it from there.

Jord

Richard Haselgrove

Oct 17, 2021, 9:16:09 AM10/17/21
to Jord van der Elst, Boinc Alpha Mailing List
I tried downloading it on my most heavily-secured machine. The actual download was the same size as, and appears to be identical to, the official UCB download - despite the displayed size before download being some 50% larger.

It's also digitally signed by the University of California, but I noticed the signature doesn't have a timestamp - all previous signed releases have had one.

Also while doing the security testing, I got a report from Norton 360 that the running BOINC client - the one installed a couple of days ago from the Berkeley download - had an invalid digital signature. Norton noticed that while the client was performing a normal RPC to one of my projects, but gave no other details.

Yavanius Gekkō Misuto

Oct 17, 2021, 12:44:11 PM10/17/21
to Jord van der Elst, 'Richard Haselgrove' via boinc_alpha
There's a report malware button. Didn't try it, but you could write something it appears to be a fake version and point to the official BOINC download page.

~Yav

Sent from Blue