Windows 10 BOINC 7.16.16 (x64)

clhard...@verizon.net

Nov 8, 2020, 8:39:52 AM11/8/20
to BOINC Alpha

I installed / upgraded from BOINC 7.16.11 (x64) to 7.16.16 (x64) this morning and noted the following.  I’m posting them here as 7.16.16 is not yet available on the test results web site.  Please note that normally when installing a new version I always exit BOINC prior to installation, recycling the machine which enables it to execute at Windows start-up.

System environment:

                Windows 10 Pro (x64) version: 20H2 build: 19042.610

                Intel i7/7700K, 16GB mem, 2 x GTC 1070 FE

  • BOINC icon disappears in the notification bar soon after BOINC start-up, and there is no way to view the manager or control it at this point.  The only way to exit control BOINC at this point is via the Task Manager.  The icon that appears on the desktop also has been replaced with a blank icon.  Even though the blank icon works to start the manager, the icon does not appear in the notification area.  Re-installing 7.16.16 via the ‘repair’ option in the installation process does not correct the problem.

  • Regressive installation to 7.16.11 over 7.16.16 does not correct the problem.

  • After exiting BOINC via the ‘Task Manager’, I uninstalled 7.16.16 via ‘Programs & Features’ and recycled the machine.  I did a clean install of 7.16.16 and the problem was not corrected.

  • After exiting BOINC via the ‘Task Manager’, I uninstalled 7.16.16 via ‘Programs & Features’ and recycled the machine.  After startup I successfully installed 7.16.11 with the icon appearing in the ‘notification area’.

The disappearance of the desktop icon is a minor inconvenience as I can delete the icon an replace it from the start list.  The absence of  the icon in the notification area is a not-starter, so I’ve reverted back to 7.16.11 until the problem is rectified.

From the desk of:

Clifton L. Harding Jr.

clhard...@verizon.net

Vitalii Koshura

Nov 8, 2020, 8:41:50 AM11/8/20
to clhard...@verizon.net, BOINC Alpha
Hello Charlie,

Thank you for your report.

All issues you mentioned were already fixed.
The installer you installed is not ready for alpha testing.

Вс, 8 нояб. 2020 г. в 14:39, clhardingjr1 via boinc_alpha <boinc...@ssl.berkeley.edu>:
Best regards,
Vitalii Koshura

Sent via iPhone

clhard...@verizon.net

Nov 8, 2020, 8:47:05 AM11/8/20
to Vitalii Koshura, BOINC Alpha

The version/ installer used was posted on the  BOINC beta d/l site & dated 27 October, 2020.

From the desk of:

Clifton L. Harding Jr.

clhard...@verizon.net

[...]

From the desk of:

Clifton L. Harding Jr.

clhard...@verizon.net

Vitalii Koshura

Nov 8, 2020, 9:00:13 AM11/8/20
to clhard...@verizon.net, BOINC Alpha
I know but this version was not announced as a ready for alpha testing IIRC