problem I found regarding task fetching

ยอดดู 5 ครั้ง
ข้ามไปที่ข้อความที่ยังไม่อ่านรายการแรก

robert andrews

ยังไม่อ่าน,
26 ธ.ค. 2563 09:35:5726/12/63
ถึง Boinc Alpha-List
I am signed up for Climate Prediciton which has a 1 year deadline date and I do have an app_config file limiting the pc to running only 3 tasks at one time, that works great and since the pc has a dual quad core Intel Xeon chips and I have HT turned on it sends me enough taks for all 15 cpu cores I have allowed the pc to use. I do have it set as a zero resource share project so all that is fine BUT since the app_config file limits me to only running 3 at one time I can't get any other project, also with a zero resource share to send me any tasks because I have 12 Climate Prediciton tasks waiting to run. If I increase another projects resource share then I can't get any climate prediciton tasks meaning I have to manually intervene everytime I want to fill the usuable cpu cores of the pc.What I do now is let climate prediciton fill the cache and start running the 3 tasks allowed then suspend every other climate task and then the cache fills with one of my other zero resource share projects and everything crunches along just fine.

My question is shouldn't Boinc recognize that I have an app_config file and that only 3 tasks are running of the 15 allowed and ask another project to fill the available cpu cores with work? I realize that technically the cache is full of work, but it's not being run due to the app_config settings which lots of people use for many different reasons including memory issues with some apps.

The pc in question is running Linux Mint with Boinc 7.8.3 and YES I realize it's a way too old version but except for this glitch it works just fine on the projects I have it on, IF a newer version of Boinc already fixes this problem I will gladly update.

mikey

Nicolás Alvarez

ยังไม่อ่าน,
26 ธ.ค. 2563 10:45:3326/12/63
ถึง robert andrews, Boinc Alpha-List

On 26 Dec 2020, at 11:35, robert andrews <mi...@fireman.net> wrote:

The pc in question is running Linux Mint with Boinc 7.8.3 and YES I realize it's a way too old version but except for this glitch it works just fine on the projects I have it on, IF a newer version of Boinc already fixes this problem I will gladly update.

Well, this is the alpha testing mailing list, where users like you test the latest version (which maybe isn't even declared stable yet) and report if it fixes things or not. Updating is the *first* step, not the final answer.

--
Nicolas

TarotApprentice

ยังไม่อ่าน,
26 ธ.ค. 2563 14:26:5226/12/63
ถึง robert andrews, Boinc Alpha-List
There are fixes in 7.16 for max_concurrent. As already advised upgrade to a more recent version. Locutus of borg (Gianfranco) has a ppa for Ubuntu so you could use it for an up to date version.

MarkJ

Yavanius Gekkō Misuto

ยังไม่อ่าน,
26 ธ.ค. 2563 14:53:5426/12/63
ถึง TarotApprentice, robert andrews, Boinc Alpha-List
Gianfranco is the mainter for Debian version of BOINC which Ubuntu and the such falls under. So he's very good about being up-to-date on the current clients. Since he maintains repos, you only need to add the appropriate one and you don't have to worry about manually downloading and installing the client. I believe he has repos for beta too.

ตอบทุกคน
ตอบกลับผู้สร้าง
ส่งต่อ
ข้อความใหม่ 0 รายการ