Do Notices work on Android BOINC 7.16.16?

Jord van der Elst

Feb 17, 2021, 7:25:15 PM2/17/21
to BOINC Alpha Mailing List
I've reported several bugs already that I found in this Android BOINC version, but since the first installation I haven't had any Notices or News. Now I checked all the Android capable projects if they had news and of them only LHC should still be in the 30 days limit for News (their last news was of 18 January 2021).

But Notices is empty. Has always been empty.
And yes, I have added all projects to BOINC, well bar Asteroids as its scheduler has problems, so it won't connect.

Is there another quick and dirty way I can test if Notices works in this new version? It's certainly not telling me any trouble with preferences, connection issues or anything else. Just empty space.

Cheers,

-- Jord

Vitalii Koshura

Feb 18, 2021, 11:44:34 AM2/18/21
to Jord van der Elst, BOINC Alpha Mailing List
Hello Jord,

Here's my list of connected Projects:
image.png
And during last month I received notifications from MilkyWay@home, SiDock@home and GPUGrid.
I'll take a look regarding your question but I suggest for now just to connect to Android and PC the same Projects and wait for Notification on any of them (please remember that notifications on different devices and delivered when BOINC do a sync with the Project (so these are not push notifications that appear immediately on all connected devices).

Best regards,
Vitalii Koshura

Jord van der Elst

Feb 18, 2021, 12:10:33 PM2/18/21
to Vitalii Koshura, BOINC Alpha Mailing List
Hi Vitalii,

It's nice that you show a list of PC projects, but I am talking about the Android version specifically and its projects list is a lot shorter: Asteroids, Einstein, LHC, Moo! Wrapper, Rosetta, Universe, Yoyo and WCG are the only options plus a choice for an account manager. Since of these projects only LHC had news in the past 30 days (dated 19 January 2021), this should've been shown in Notices. It didn't.

So either Notices don't work in the new Android version of BOINC;
or it doesn't show News anymore;
or it's not with a maximum of 30 days that it shows this news.

It would be nice if we had the Alpha project News that we could test this with. But then again, the new version skipped alpha and beta testing all together and was promoted to recommended immediately.

-- Jord

Vitalii Koshura

Feb 18, 2021, 12:28:51 PM2/18/21
to Jord van der Elst, BOINC Alpha Mailing List
I sent a screenshot from PC to show that I have a lot of connected projects but not so many of them have news recently.

Чт, 18 февр. 2021 г. в 18:10, Jord van der Elst <els...@gmail.com>:
--
Best regards,
Vitalii Koshura

Sent via iPhone

Bill Freauff

Feb 18, 2021, 8:41:18 PM2/18/21
to boinc...@ssl.berkeley.edu

WCG has six news postings for various item's currently being loaded and displayed on my old 7.4.53. They are all less than 30 days old. The most recent was a Project update posted Feb 19.

Bill F

Vitalii Koshura

Feb 18, 2021, 9:16:58 PM2/18/21
to Bill Freauff, Jord van der Elst, BOINC Alpha
@Jord van der Elst, please create a bug ticket on GitHub about this.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Vitalii Koshura

Yavanius Gekkō Misuto

Feb 20, 2021, 2:02:39 PM2/20/21
to Jord van der Elst, BOINC Alpha Mailing List
I didn't even know we had a new version out until I saw your message Jord. Been waiting a long time for news of a new version...

I upgraded from the last Beta version on DL on my Tab S6 Lite and I had no issues with news. The only thing I currently have connected on my tablet is WCG and WUProp. The news came up just fine. In fact, every time I switch back to BOINC it pops up with the news screen. So, if I'm on Tasks screen, switch to another app, and come back to it (icon or notifications), it comes up on the News screen. Can't remember if it's any screen, but possibly.

Noticed some other issues:

* When I first started using the new version, it wouldn't stay running if I shut the screen off. I don't know if this is an issue with this version or something left over from the previous version.

* If you force stop BOINC and ensure it's not on the quick launch list, then restart it, it complains there's another volunteer computing app running. However, I do see the notification that it is Computing and when I try again to go to BOINC, it pops up just fine and appears to have started just fine. It did this the FIRST TIME I LAUNCHED BOINC after upgrading.

(Do we really need this feature?? When I was running DreamLab it didn't pick that up, so  it only looks like it detects itself and possibly other BOINC based apps.)

* If the percentage slider is set to anything less than 100%, then EVERY TIME IT PAUSES & RESTARTS there is a new notification which gets annoying really fast.

Other Notes:

* I can't tell yet if BOINC is still affected by the Big little issue. I've been trying to get it to stay at full speed so I can an idea of a good run time to compare against before testing. Right now, it seems to be around 12 hours for MCM from WCG.

* Can we put some color on the text in dark mode, particularly the headers? I appreciate the Dark Mode but some colors would help the areas stand out and also look more aesthetic.

That's all I got to report it for now. I am going to finish the current WUs I have and then uninstall and fresh install this new version. I know the last Beta version was rather wonky. Interestingly, I found it was less wonky when you had the stable version installed and then installed the Beta version. I found this out by accident when I unintentionally uninstalled BOINC and just went with the last beta version.

BTW, has anybody considered approaching Neocortix to help out? They helped revamped Folding@home and Rosetta@home last year. They did create a Folding@home Android client but it appears F@H is taking their time releasing the client, although there is an ARM client available.

Cheers,

David - SoCal

Vitalii Koshura

Feb 20, 2021, 3:39:39 PM2/20/21
to Yavanius Gekkō Misuto, Jord van der Elst, BOINC Alpha Mailing List
Hello David,

Thank you for the detailed testing.

I created a ticket to add new version check: https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/issues/4212

There is already a ticket about this: https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/issues/4187

> * When I first started using the new version, it wouldn't stay running if I shut the screen off. I don't know if this is an issue with this version or something left over from the previous version.

Do you still have this issue or it was just once and never happened after?

> * If you force stop BOINC and ensure it's not on the quick launch list, then restart it, it complains there's another volunteer computing app running. However, I do see the notification that it is Computing and when I try again to go to BOINC, it pops up just fine and appears to have started just fine. It did this the FIRST TIME I LAUNCHED BOINC after upgrading.
(Do we really need this feature?? When I was running DreamLab it didn't pick that up, so  it only looks like it detects itself and possibly other BOINC based apps.)

> * If the percentage slider is set to anything less than 100%, then EVERY TIME IT PAUSES & RESTARTS there is a new notification which gets annoying really fast.

Could you please share more details about this? Preferable as a new ticket on GitHub

> * Can we put some color on the text in dark mode, particularly the headers? I appreciate the Dark Mode but some colors would help the areas stand out and also look more aesthetic.

Please create a ticket and share your ideas about colors you'd think will fit better?

> BTW, has anybody considered approaching Neocortix to help out? They helped revamped Folding@home and Rosetta@home last year. They did create a Folding@home Android client but it appears F@H is taking their time releasing the client, although there is an ARM client available.

Nope. We already have ARM support. It would be better if they help other Projects to bring their applications on Android.

Best regards,
Vitalii Koshura

Jord van der Elst

Feb 21, 2021, 8:30:03 AM2/21/21
to Vitalii Koshura, Yavanius Gekkō Misuto, BOINC Alpha Mailing List
I've put up the notifications bug already. And all the other ones I found.

Now I just hope my Mi Band doesn't lose contact with my phone again due to something BOINC does. It worked fine for 2.5 months, I have BOINC installed and within 2 days my Mi Band and app refuse to communicate, requiring me to reset both to get them to talk again, but losing data in the process. Yep, will see if that happens again.

-- Jord

Yavanius Gekkō Misuto

Feb 23, 2021, 5:09:15 PM2/23/21
to BOINC Alpha Mailing List, Vitalii Koshura
Got a Galaxy S8 phone. First time install of BOINC 7.6.16 from APK.

It appears to start okay but every time I attempted to get into BOINC the system would claim a couple of seconds afterward BOINC keeps stopping and prompting me to close it. After a few tries, I finally told the system to stop it and then I was finally able to get into it.

It hasn't complained since. I believe it's on Android 9. It just decided to restart itself and do the updating apps so I can't verify it at the moment.

David (SoCal)

Vitalii Koshura

Feb 23, 2021, 6:19:14 PM2/23/21
to Yavanius Gekkō Misuto, BOINC Alpha Mailing List
Hello David,

Thank you for your report.

Hm, it's quite interesting.
I have no Galaxy S8 to reproduce it (only Galaxy J7 Neo with Android 9) but it runs just fine.
Could you please try to play around with it to find what special with it that prevents BOINC from running on it?
Maybe you have WiFi disabled?
Meanwhile I'll ask folks who own Galaxy S8 to run a new version.

Best regards,
Vitalii Koshura

Yavanius Gekkō Misuto

Feb 23, 2021, 10:09:48 PM2/23/21
to Vitalii Koshura, BOINC Alpha Mailing List
It only did right after install. Sofar, after letting the System stop it (not a manual force stop) I haven't seen any issue. I don't know it was really crashing (doesn't seem like it though) or something in the state of BOINC was a false positive on crashing. I'll see if I can reproduce it. I won't have this particular phone soon as I was sent the wrong model and need to send it back.

David (SoCal)

Vitalii Koshura

Feb 24, 2021, 1:09:58 AM2/24/21
to Yavanius Gekkō Misuto, BOINC Alpha Mailing List
>  I won't have this particular phone soon as I was sent the wrong model and need to send it back.

No problem. I'll ask someone else to test it on the same model of device.

Best regards,
Vitalii Koshura