Rule Clarification prior to the qualifier

Meely Yim

Jul 23, 2012, 11:14:15 AM7/23/12
to softbal...@specialolympicsontario.ca

As discussed, we would like to have a (if not several more) rule clarified prior to the qualifier.

The touching of home plate by an athlete.
Q: If an athlete touches the home plate when coming home, are they an out for touching home plate?

A: Yes, they are.  ( do not touch the plate. Let the catcher have the plate)

Q: If an athlete crosses the commitment line and then turns or returns to the home plate and touches it, are they an out?

A: Yes, they are out . If they go back to third, once  they have committed.

Q: If an athlete crosses the commitment line and then turns or return to the home plate and touches the plate, and there is a play at home plate - i.e. the catcher is also standing touching home plate waiting for a throw, receiving a throw, etc. is the offensive player an out?

A: Yes they are out, if the ball beats the player to the safe line

Q: If an athlete crosses the commitment line and then turns or return to the home plate and touches the plate, and there is a play at home plate - ie the catcher is attempting to field the ball and is off the plate but still trying to make a play i.e. ball has made it past catcher and they are fielding it and trying to return to home plate at same time as offensive player is also turning to or returning to home plate, are they an out?

A: - If the runner is avoiding collision ONLY, they would NOT likely be called out.

- They would be called out in all other circumstances.

Q: We have always played that any touching of home plate whether directly before crossing commitment line, turning to or returning and touching home plate in any way, shape or fashion is an out - is that still correct?

A: Yes, this is correct.

Thanks,

Coach D

Alex Robertson - Hamilton

Jul 25, 2012, 4:32:59 PM7/25/12
to softbal...@specialolympicsontario.ca
Hi,

Field Dimension Clarification:

The recently completed "Individual Player Assessment Form", has the base running drill set at 65' between bases, and I quote "Description – Bases are set up like a baseball diamond and positioned 19.81 meter (65’) apart."  The 2011-2012 Softball Canada Official Rule Book, page #40, shows the dimension at either 65' or 70'.  SOO's old rule book used state the dimension at 60', but that document no longer exists, and there is no mention in the of the dimensions in the new SOO rules, aside from pitchers plate floating around.

Please clarify if we will be using 65' or 70' as the new standard.

Thank you.

Alex Robertson

Alex Robertson - Hamilton

Jul 26, 2012, 8:45:14 AM7/26/12
to softbal...@specialolympicsontario.ca
Yes, thank you.
Q: Regarding the layout of the diamonds for competition, what will be the SOO standard that we will all follow, 65' or 70'?