How do we define adaptive in SO Curling? Where do we draw the line between recreational and competitive streams?

Cathy

Nov 19, 2014, 7:28:14 PM11/19/14
to curlin...@specialolympicsontario.ca
In mainstream curling, the use of a stick to throw is considered adaptive. Users of sticks don't get to compete with non-stick users in provincial/national competitions although they certainly mix in funspiels/league games.

I understand and accept that due to physical limitations, some of our athlete may need to use a stick. In our league, coaches put a lot of effort into developing athletes to be able to curl without one as part of our dedication to developing curling as an athletic event rather than a game. I believe this is in line with the LTAD views. So what is adaptive? Is it acceptable to  give able athletes a stick because it is easier than to coach them otherwise? What if the athletes simply refuse to participate unless they can use a stick? The use of a stick turns a mediocre player into a much better one. Is it then ethical to allow able athletes to use a stick in the competitive stream or should they be limited to the recreational stream again as described in the LTAD?

curling

Nov 27, 2014, 7:37:03 PM11/27/14
to curlin...@specialolympicsontario.ca

Thanks Cathy for starting this discussion and you make a number of comments that shows the true complexity of this topic. I would like to ask coaches involved in Special Olympics curling programs across the province to share their thoughts and ideas on this topic. The more input will provide us with a better understand on how we can move forward with Special Olympics curling competitions and sport programs in the province.

Thanks again

Kevin