Looking for advice on what sort of track hub to use for my functional assay data

Melissa Cline

May 16, 2023, 12:26:15 PM5/16/23
to track...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi folks!

I'm working on a track hub for MaveDB functional assay results.  I've prototyped it as a bigWig track, and that's a start but it loses too much information.  So I'd like suggestions.  Here's what the data looks like:
  • Each functional assay on MaveDB reports on mutations in one gene.  Each assay might cover the entirety of the locus, or as little as 1/4.  When we get this all scaled up, there will be hundreds or thousands of assays included.
  • Per assay, there are some number N of variants tested.  For each variant, the assay results include the ref and alt alleles (nucleotide or amino acid), the coordinates of those alleles, and a numeric score describing the functional impact of the variation.  There can be multiple variants per genomic position.
For my first pass, I tried assembling a bigWig track using the scores, as shown attached.  The problems are that I had to throw out all but the first variant in each position, and the variant itself isn't shown.  I think a better approach would be something like the ClinVar track, shown lower, with multiple variants per position and each variant color-coded according to its clinical significance.  What kind of track is that?

I'd like to color the track items on something like a blue/yellow heat map spectrum (respecting all the people who are red/green color-blind), with lower values per assay at one extreme and higher values per assay at another.  Do I have to calculate my RGB values, or is there an easier way to calculate and specify the colors in a color continuum?

Or, is there a different type of track that you'd recommend I think about?

Thanks!
Melissa
hgt_genome_ee95_294130.pdf