is hg3 available anywhere?

Martin Krzywinski

May 13, 2022, 7:10:36 PM5/13/22
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

I'm creating an information graphic based on historical assemblies.

I've been able to download all human genome assemblies listed here

from this page

but unfortunately hg3 (Jul 2000) does not appear to be available.

Does anyone know whether the hg3 assembly is available anywhere?

Thanks kindly,

Martin Krzywinski
science + art

Hiram Clawson

May 13, 2022, 8:28:37 PM5/13/22
to Martin Krzywinski, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Good Afternoon Martin:

Please note these directory names that can be used with the URL:

https://hgdownload.soe.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/

to explore all available archived releases we have for the original
human genome versions.

hg07oct2000_oo21 hg12 hg15june2000 hg18 hg24may2000 hg5 hg8
hg10 hg13 hg16 hg19 hg38 hg6
hg11 hg15 hg17 hg19Patch5 hg4 hg7

There is usually a bigZips/ directory in each of those with some form of fa.gz file.
I don't know if hg3 is there, notes in the source tree indicate it
is 'July 17th'

--Hiram

Robert Kuhn

May 13, 2022, 10:15:43 PM5/13/22
to Hiram Clawson, Martin Krzywinski, UCSC Genome Browser Mailing List, Robert Kuhn
my guess is, you order them by date, then hg# and you get:

hg24may2000
hg15june2000
hg07oct2000_oo21
hg4
hg5
hg6
hg7
hg8
hg10
hg11
hg12
hg13
hg15
hg16
hg17
hg18
hg19
hg19Patch5
hg38
hg07oct2000_oo21 = hg3 ?

        --b0b kuhn
      ucsc genome bioinformatics group

--

---

Martin Krzywinski

May 16, 2022, 10:05:39 AM5/16/22
to Robert Kuhn, Hiram Clawson, UCSC Genome Browser Mailing List
Unfortunately, hg07oct2000_oo21 doesn't look like hg3, from the bigZips/README.txt

---
This directory contains the preliminary assembly of the Oct. 7, 2000 Genbank freeze
posted on our public site on November 10, 2000. This assembly was updated January 9
2001, and that final assembly of the October freeze is currently posted at
http://genome.ucsc.edu.
---

suggests it's newer than hg4.

It seems that hg3 is AWOL.

Martin Krzywinski
science + art

Brian Lee

May 17, 2022, 4:31:37 PM5/17/22
to Martin Krzywinski, Robert Kuhn, Hiram Clawson, UCSC Genome Browser Mailing List
Dear Martin,

It does appear that the hgw3 named assembly is not available anywhere. The versions were rapidly changing at that time as noted by the email from b0b Kuhn.

hg24may2000
hg15june2000
hg07oct2000_oo21
hg4

While this statement is not definitive, it appears perhaps the hg[1-9] naming system was implemented right around the hgw3 period to help be more clear about which version was being referred to at UCSC.

All the best,

Martin Krzywinski

May 17, 2022, 8:25:59 PM5/17/22
to Brian Lee, Robert Kuhn, Hiram Clawson, UCSC Genome Browser Mailing List

Many thanks.

Martin Krzywinski
science + art