Multi-way alignment and conservation

Marie-Laurence Cossette

Sep 26, 2022, 12:31:34 PM9/26/22
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi,

I am trying to also run a mammalian alignment/conservation analysis but with a few other shrew species. My plan was to run Lastz for the new species against hg19 and then use the files from the ones  you have online. I just have a few questions to make sure I am doing this correctly.

Were all the 93 hg19 chromosomes used (haplotypes, sex chromosomes, randoms etc..) against each species?

It’s mentioned that “Lineage-specific repeats were removed prior to alignment, then reinserted”. How was this done?  Do you have a script for this part?

Thanks,

Marie

Gerardo Perez

Sep 29, 2022, 8:47:07 PM9/29/22
to Marie-Laurence Cossette, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello, Marie.

Thank you for your interest in the Genome Browser.

Our engineers have provided the following information:

Were all the 93 hg19 chromosomes used (haplotypes, sex chromosomes, randoms etc..) against each species?

Yes, all the sequences were used against each species.

It’s mentioned that “Lineage-specific repeats were removed prior to alignment, then reinserted”. How was this done? Do you have a script for this part?

Thank you for pointing out that the description page still says "Lineage-specific repeats were removed prior to alignment, then reinserted". While we did perform those extra steps many years ago for a small subset of mammalian species whose repeats had been categorized as "ancient" (predating the common ancestor) vs. "lineage-specific" (inserted after the common ancestor), in more recent times we no longer do that. We will update our description.

You may find our 470-way alignment track for hg38 on our development server helpful:
https://genome-test.gi.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTrackUi?db=hg38&c=chrX&g=cons470way

It might have all the shrew species that you planned for mammalian alignment/conservation analysis. The track has not been reviewed by our Quality Assurance team, so we ask to exercise caution.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Gerardo Perez
UCSC Genomics Institute

--

---