My session questions

1 view

Srirangan Sampath

Nov 8, 2021, 1:05:29 PM11/8/21
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi,

   I created an account for our department and created a session with custom tracks. This account is shared by the entire department as a tool for them to view the information embedded in custom tracks.

I have the following questions on saved sessions

  1. Is there any email alert (to the account email) if anyone makes any changes to the saved sessions?
  2. We want to make sure that someone does not inadvertently share the saved session publicly by clicking "post in public listing". Can we set it to alert to the account email if this happens?
Thanks
Sri.

email_sig_logo_vert.png

Srirangan Sampath

Clinical Genomics

Mobile: 504-390-5512

www.invitae.com
email_sig_social_twitter.pngemail_sig_social_facebook.pngemail_sig_social_linkedin.pngemail_sig_social_blog.pngemail_sig_social_investor.png

Daniel Schmelter

Nov 8, 2021, 5:23:48 PM11/8/21
to Srirangan Sampath, UCSC Genome Browser Support

Hello Sri,

Thank you for contacting the Genome Browser regarding your group's Saved Sessions.

You asked about whether we have any notification features for session changes. This is not something we have at this time. I have made an internal note of your request for notifications and we will consider developing this and other features that support multiple people accessing sessions together.

You may want to emphasize with your team to be sure the "Post in Public Listing" box remains unchecked. You could also consider restricting link access to only your account by unchecking the "share with others?" box. Be aware that if this box remains checked and someone sends one of your session links, it could be accessed and saved by those who are not logged into your account. You can read more about sharing sessions here:

https://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/hgSessionHelp.html#Share

One option to ensure security is to install a private mirrored instance of the Genome Browser using our GBIC or GBIB software. This could serve as a fully functional and regularly updating private Genome Browser for your group. You can learn more about these tools below:

https://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/mirror.html

I hope this was helpful. If you have any more questions, please reply-all to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are publicly archived. If your question includes sensitive information, please mail genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

All the best,

Daniel Schmelter
UCSC Genome Browser

--