what is a canonical transcript?

Sergei Manakov

Oct 9, 2012, 12:37:16 AM10/9/12
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello,

I would like to know the definition of a canonical transcript, but I
am having trouble to find a definition. I would appreciate if somebody
could let me know or point at a page where it is explained.

thanks,
Sergei

--
Sergei (Siarhei Manakou) Manakov

California Institute of Technology
MC 147-75

land: +1 626 395 3593

mobile: + 1 858 729 4531

Greg Roe

Oct 10, 2012, 3:27:19 PM10/10/12
to Sergei Manakov, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi, Sergei.

There's not a straightforward answer to this question, as different definitions exist. For example, Ensembl and and UCSC have different conventions for choosing the canonical transcript at each locus, but we each make an effort to choose the most likely one to give a real protein of the longest possible open reading frame.

Read the UCSC Genes description page (esp. Methods) for our "definition":
http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTrackUi?g=knownGene&db=hg19

- Greg