TCP non-blocking connect() error

Donahue, Gregory

Sep 28, 2022, 12:23:15 PM9/28/22
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello,

     Recently, our IT group reconfigured the network hosting the server with our track files, changing the IP address. This has created a problem where Genome Browser can no longer recognize the name of the server, dodongo.pmacs.upenn.edu. See for example the custom tracks here:

https://genome.ucsc.edu/s/Gdonahue/Pourshafie%20CUT%2DN%2DRUN%20OE%20and%20Tau

If you look at the custom tracks for this session, you will see a list of errors. Clicking on “Show” for any of them produces an error pop-up dialog:

“TCP non-blocking connect() to dodongo.pmacs.upenn.edu IP 130.91.193.206 timed-out in select() after 10000 milliseconds - Cancelling! Couldn't open http://dodongo.pmacs.upenn.edu/legacy/Pourshafie/08172022_H3K9ac-IgG.PBS.OE.bw

The IP it mentions is the previous IP. The new IP is 165.123.69.116. If I add tracks using that IP rather than the domain name, it works. Is this some kind of DNS caching error?

     On second thought, it sounds similar to the problem described here: https://groups.google.com/a/soe.ucsc.edu/g/genome/c/hTubkt757Xc/m/sJhk8NTsVWwJ, and in many other issues searchable under “TCP non-blocking.” Could it be a port issue? Or do I simply have to ask our admins to allow connections from 128.114.119.*? But if that hasn’t been set correctly, how can Genome Browser load tracks using the IP and not the domain name?

     Thanks for any help you can give,

     Greg

Greg Donahue

(215)-573-5844

The Berger and Zaret Labs

The Perelman School of Medicine

The University of Pennsylvania

Galt Barber

Sep 28, 2022, 3:00:02 PM9/28/22
to Donahue, Gregory, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
HI, Gregory!
Can you retry again today? Things seem to be working now.

Galt Barber
UCSC Genome Browser Staff

Ar Céad 28 MFómh 2022 ag 09:23, scríobh Donahue, Gregory <gdon...@pennmedicine.upenn.edu>:
--

---

Donahue, Gregory

Sep 28, 2022, 4:14:58 PM9/28/22
to Galt Barber, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Galt, thanks much for the reply. It seems the problem has resolved itself, though I’m not sure how. I don’t think anyone on our end altered anything in the network config. Best, -G