How to set chromAlias for custom genome on local mirror

Stephen Turner

May 9, 2024, 12:20:32 PMMay 9
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello.

We recently set up a local/private mirror (after purchasing an enterprise license). I'm loading a genomes that are either private or aren't in annotation hub. I want to assign aliases to the chromosome names. I have a properly formatted chromAlias.txt file that has the names of the chromosomes present in the fasta in the first column, along with aliases I want to be able to use. How do I get these chromosome aliases to be recognized?

I'm following the directions at https://genomewiki.ucsc.edu/index.php?title=Building_a_new_genome_database to build a new genome.

I've looked through the mailing list here and the public genome google group messages, and I've looked through the documentation below, and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Stephen

Gerardo Perez

May 17, 2024, 2:07:40 PMMay 17
to Stephen Turner, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello, Stephen.

Thank you for using the UCSC Genome Browser and for sending your inquiry.

Could you provide more details on how you formatted your chromAlias.txt file after following the Chrom Alias - genomewiki instructions? And can you share what you see in the Genome Browser when using the formatted chromAlias.txt file? Did you build the genome as a database assembly or as an assembly hub? For database assembly browsers, the chromAlias table needs to be loaded and would be a different type of procedure. Here is an example of loading the chromAlias database table from our makedoc, keep in mind this is more made for internal replication:
https://github.com/ucscGenomeBrowser/kent/blob/master/src/hg/makeDb/doc/xenTro10/initialBuild.txt#L606

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Gerardo Perez
UCSC Genomics Institute

--

---