Missing tables after UCSC Genome Browser Upgrade

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

Nov 30, 2023, 12:44:33 PM11/30/23
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello Support,

Just completed an upgrade using the browserSetup.sh script and during testing I got the following error.

I have confirmed the tables are not in the database hg38 or hg19.

Dwayne

Dwayne McCully

NIAMS, NIH

Contractor

Robert Kuhn

Nov 30, 2023, 7:38:38 PM11/30/23
to McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C], gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, genome-www, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu, Robert Kuhn
Hello, Dwayne,

I am no longer on the Browser staff, but I still lurk on the mailing list as bit.  I can tell
you OMIM does not permit any third parties to download their data.  You need to go to
omim.org and download them there.

best wishes,

     --b0b kuhn

Robert Kuhn, PhD
Associate Director UCSC Genome Browser (retired)
dba Robert Kuhn Consulting -- bioinformatics training and consulting

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 9:18 AM 'McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]' via UCSC Genome Browser Public Support <gen...@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:

Hi Support,

--

---

Robert Kuhn

Dec 1, 2023, 1:21:57 AM12/1/23
to McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C], UCSC Genome Browser Mailing List, genome-www, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello, Dwayne,

15 years ago we set up a system where we uploaded MySQL-formatted tables back to OMIM for mirrors to download from them. I believe they now do that themselves.

They require reqistration via:

Please contact them there.

I will let the Browser staff address the question about the script. Is it possible you are updating an installation that loaded the OMIM tables separately?

Best regards,

   ..b0b

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023, 5:06 PM McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C] <dmcc...@mail.nih.gov> wrote:

Thank you Robert for answering my e-mail!!

The UCSC Genome Browser group allowed an upgrade that required mirror managers to download

data from OMIM?   The error is indicating the data needs to be in a MariaDB table format for multiple genomes.   Will the omim.org site have this?

Will the message that your seeing in the below screen shot will affect the operations of the mirror site until fixed?

Sorry for all the questions but need to get the problem resolved.

Dwayne

Dwayne McCully

NIAMS, NIH

Contractor

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and are confident the content is safe.

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

Dec 1, 2023, 8:59:59 AM12/1/23
to Maximilian Haeussler, Robert Kuhn, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, genome-www, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Thank you Max for the update and new instructions!

After running the new browserSetup.sh it ran smoothly up to this point.

sent 24 bytes  received 1,798 bytes  1,214.67 bytes/sec

total size is 46,015,696,612  speedup is 25,255,596.38

| Hiding some tracks by default and removing some tracks from searches

go

ERROR 1146 (42S02) at line 1: Table 'go.trackDb' doesn't exist

Exit error 1 occurred on line 1

The UCSC Genome Browser installation script exited with an error.

Please contact us at genome...@soe.ucsc.edu and send us an output log

of the command prefixed with "bash -x", e.g.

bash -x browserSetup.sh install 2>&1 > install.log

What would be my next step to fix?

Dwayne

Dec 1, 2023, 8:59:59 AM12/1/23
to Robert Kuhn, UCSC Genome Browser Mailing List, genome-www, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Robert,

We did not load the OMIM tables separately as this is the first time I’ve seen anything related to OMIM.

I will ask our federal staff about the registration with OMIM but this will take time due to the review of licensing requirements.

At the moment, Max is trying to resolve the OMIM issue short term with a new browserSetup.sh script.

Dwayne

Maximilian Haeussler

Dec 1, 2023, 12:57:47 PM12/1/23
to McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Robert Kuhn, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Dwayne,

oh, you have a full set of databases, including "go", sorry I didn't test with a full mirror. I changed the script now to handle this case. You can re-download and I hope it's working now.

Otherwise you can also run the SQL commands that fix this problem yourself as a temporary solution until the next update:

mysql hg38 -e 'UPDATE trackDb set visibility=0 WHERE tableName="omimGene2"
mysql hg38 -e 'UPDATE trackDb set visibility=0 WHERE tableName="omimAvSnp"

Thanks for this feedback, I'm realizing that we never completely tested all the options of this script and so far this hadn't been a problem. This is the first time that we have OMIM as the default track.

best
Max

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

Dec 1, 2023, 12:57:52 PM12/1/23
to Maximilian Haeussler, Robert Kuhn, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Max,

Downloaded and ran the updated script but it stopped with another issue.

sent 24 bytes  received 1,798 bytes  1,214.67 bytes/sec

total size is 46,015,696,612  speedup is 25,255,596.38

| Hiding some tracks by default and removing some tracks from searches

go

hg18

hg19

hg38

hgFixed

ERROR 1146 (42S02) at line 1: Table 'hgFixed.trackDb' doesn't exist

Exit error 1 occurred on line 1

The UCSC Genome Browser installation script exited with an error.

Please contact us at genome...@soe.ucsc.edu and send us an output log

of the command prefixed with "bash -x", e.g.

bash -x browserSetup.sh install 2>&1 > install.log

[root@niamsapp01 ~]#

What would you like me to do?

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

Dec 1, 2023, 12:57:55 PM12/1/23
to Maximilian Haeussler, Robert Kuhn, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Max,

One good thing is the error/warning message has been resolved with the new browserSetup.sh script. 😊

This missing table 'hgFixed.trackDb' is a new issue.

Dwayne

Maximilian Haeussler

Dec 1, 2023, 12:57:58 PM12/1/23
to McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Robert Kuhn, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Ah. hgFixed. Sorry. Fixed that in the script now. If your problem is resolved now, you can re-download the script in around 10-15 minutes and I think we're done with this problem.

Thanks! And sorry that this took a few iterations!

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

Dec 1, 2023, 12:58:01 PM12/1/23
to Maximilian Haeussler, Robert Kuhn, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Max,

Another issue came up with the new script.

go

hg18

hg19

hg38

hgFixed

mm10

mm9

proteome

ERROR 1146 (42S02) at line 1: Table 'proteome.trackDb' doesn't exist

Exit error 1 occurred on line 1

The UCSC Genome Browser installation script exited with an error.

Please contact us at genome...@soe.ucsc.edu and send us an output log

of the command prefixed with "bash -x", e.g.

bash -x browserSetup.sh install 2>&1 > install.log

Dwayne

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

Dec 1, 2023, 3:58:13 PM12/1/23
to Maximilian Haeussler, Robert Kuhn, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Max,

Did you get my last e-mail issue?

Dwayne

Dec 1, 2023, 5:19:32 PM12/1/23
to McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Maximilian Haeussler, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Dwayne,

Yes I think you're done. I have no clue why you are receiving that message. You'd have to follow the instructions to run with -x so we can see what the real error was and the command that generated the error.

On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 2:15 PM McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C] <dmcc...@mail.nih.gov> wrote:

Hi Chris,

I downloaded the latest browerUpdate.sh script.  Here is the output from the run but mentions line 2070.

Are we finished?

| Hiding some tracks by default and removing some tracks from searches

go

hg18

hg19

hg38

hgFixed

mm10

mm9

proteome

sacCer3

uniProt

| update finished

browserSetup.sh: line 2070: receiving: command not found

| Error: the UCSC Genome Browser installation script failed with an error

| You can run it again with "bash -x browserSetup.sh" to see what failed.

| You can then send us an email with the error message.

Dwayne

Christopher Lee

Dec 1, 2023, 5:27:05 PM12/1/23
to McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Maximilian Haeussler, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
No, these changes were to remove the OMIM tables so that your genome browser can work without them

On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 2:25 PM McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C] <dmcc...@mail.nih.gov> wrote:

Hi Chris,

Will try with the -x option over the weekend and report back what I find.

Thanks for you and Max’s support in fixing my issue.   Do we still need to get the OMIM database tables installed?

Are they essential for using the Browser and how?  I can get the registration to OMIM completed and get the downloads.

Dwayne

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

Dec 1, 2023, 5:53:32 PM12/1/23
to Christopher Lee, Maximilian Haeussler, Robert Kuhn, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Chris,

I downloaded the latest browerUpdate.sh script.  Here is the output from the run but mentions line 2070.

Are we finished?

| Hiding some tracks by default and removing some tracks from searches

go

hg18

hg19

hg38

hgFixed

mm10

mm9

proteome

sacCer3

uniProt

| update finished

browserSetup.sh: line 2070: receiving: command not found

| Error: the UCSC Genome Browser installation script failed with an error

| You can run it again with "bash -x browserSetup.sh" to see what failed.

| You can then send us an email with the error message.

Dwayne

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

Dec 4, 2023, 10:30:42 AM12/4/23
to Christopher Lee, Maximilian Haeussler, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Chris,

Below is the error

| update finished

+ receiving incremental file list

browserSetup.sh: line 2070: receiving: command not found

++ errorHandler

++ startMysql

Dwayne

Luis Nassar

Dec 6, 2023, 2:20:39 PM12/6/23
to McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Christopher Lee, Maximilian Haeussler, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi, Dwayne.

It looks like something may be wrong with your browserSetup.sh script.

Could you send us the first 10 lines and the last 10 lines of your script?

Once we are able to have it update properly the issue should be fixed.

Lou Nassar
UCSC Genomics Institute

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

Dec 6, 2023, 3:25:40 PM12/6/23
to Luis Nassar, Christopher Lee, Maximilian Haeussler, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Nassar,

See requested lines below.

Dwayne

# head -n 10 browserSetup.sh

#!/bin/bash

# script to install/setup dependencies for the UCSC genome browser CGIs

# call it like this as root from a command line: bash browserSetup.sh

# you can easily debug this script with 'bash -x browserSetup.sh', it

# will show all commands then

exec > >(tee -a "${HOME}/browserSetup.sh") 2>&1

# tail -n 10 browserSetup.sh

++ echo '|' You can run it again with '"bash -x browserSetup.sh"' to see what failed.

| You can run it again with "bash -x browserSetup.sh" to see what failed.

++ echo2 You can then send us an email with the error message.

++ command echo '|' You can then send us an email with the error message.

++ echo '|' You can then send us an email with the error message.

| You can then send us an email with the error message.

++ exit 0

+ exitHandler 0 1

+ '[' 0 == 100 -o 0 == 0 ']'

+ exit 0

#

Luis Nassar

Dec 22, 2023, 8:13:43 PM12/22/23
to McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Christopher Lee, Maximilian Haeussler, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi, Dwayne.

It looks like your browserSetup.sh script is in a strange state.

All of the "+" characters indicate perhaps it was overwritten when you ran it with the "-x" flag?

Could you rename or move your copy (just in case) and download a new one (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ucscGenomeBrowser/kent/master/src/product/installer/browserSetup.sh) and run another update?

The original bug you wrote about should be fixed, where it complained about the missing table. That complaining track has now been set to hide.

I hope this is helpful. Please include gen...@soe.ucsc.edu in any replies to ensure visibility by the team. All messages sent to that address are archived on our public forum. If your question includes sensitive information, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Lou Nassar
UCSC Genomics Institute

McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C]

Dec 28, 2023, 1:20:20 PM12/28/23
to Luis Nassar, Christopher Lee, Maximilian Haeussler, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Luis,

After downloading the new version as you suggested I got the same error when running.

Dwayne

Maximilian Haeussler

Dec 30, 2023, 1:16:48 PM12/30/23
to McCully, Dwayne (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Luis Nassar, Christopher Lee, Mullacheri, Anilkumar (NIH/NIAMS) [C], Winchester, Christine (NIH/NIAMS) [E], genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Dwayne,

uh oh, you and Lou were right, there is something odd there, a complete copy of the help text copied to the end of the file. This must have slipped into a recent edit.

You're fine now, the script did complete, it just ran into this help text at the end and stopped with an error, other than this message, your mirror should have been installed fine.

I've removed the copy of the help text now, if you redownload the script from Github again, the error should be gone.

Many thanks for this second email!
best
Max