Unable to create a session user

Sebastien Weyn

Oct 26, 2022, 12:36:09 PM10/26/22
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi all,

I’m running into the same issue as this thread where I’m unable to create a user. Was a fix determined for this?

Thanks,

Sebastien

Jairo Navarro Gonzalez

Nov 1, 2022, 6:19:18 PM11/1/22
to Sebastien Weyn, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello,

Thank you for using the UCSC Genome Browser and sending your inquiry.

We have fixed the issue that was referenced in the thread you shared. To better diagnose your issues, could you send us the following information:

1) The Linux operating system you are using to run GBiC.
2) Have you updated your GBiC script recently (within the last few months)
3. Does the script contain a line that sets the "sql_mode" to "empty", and not to "strict", in your MySQL configuration?

The specific code change can be seen on the following git commit:

https://github.com/ucscGenomeBrowser/kent/commit/522acfa3342235ba4fc6292c6d282fff85d22b13

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu.
All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly accessible Google Groups forum.
If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Jairo Navarro

UCSC Genome Browser

--

---

Sebastien Weyn

Nov 2, 2022, 11:31:40 AM11/2/22
to Jairo Navarro Gonzalez, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Jairo,

Thanks so much! Your response gave me the information I needed to fix the error. I ran the following commands:

MYCNF='/etc/mysql/my.cnf'

sed -Ei '/^.(mysqld|server).$/a sql_mode='  $MYCNF

sudo /etc/init.d/mariadb restart

To answer your questions:

  1. I’m using Ubuntu 22.04.
  2. I downloaded the script last month from the Genome Browser store but that doesn’t seem to have been the latest version. It does not include the mysqlStrictModeOff function but does include sed -i '/^.mysqld.$/a sql_mode=' $MYCNF
  3. Of the possible my.cnf locations, the one that I have is /etc/mysql/my.cnf (which is apparently for Ubuntu 14). sql_mode was not added to that file (see below) though there is the sed command to do it in the script.

Thanks again!

Sebastien

Here are the contents of my.cnf:

# The MariaDB configuration file

#

# The MariaDB/MySQL tools read configuration files in the following order:

# 0. "/etc/mysql/my.cnf" symlinks to this file, reason why all the rest is read.

# 1. "/etc/mysql/mariadb.cnf" (this file) to set global defaults,

# 2. "/etc/mysql/conf.d/*.cnf" to set global options.

# 3. "/etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/*.cnf" to set MariaDB-only options.

# 4. "~/.my.cnf" to set user-specific options.

#

# If the same option is defined multiple times, the last one will apply.

#

# One can use all long options that the program supports.

# Run program with --help to get a list of available options and with

# --print-defaults to see which it would actually understand and use.

#

# If you are new to MariaDB, check out https://mariadb.com/kb/en/basic-mariadb-articles/

#

# This group is read both by the client and the server

# use it for options that affect everything

#

[client-server]

# Port or socket location where to connect

# port = 3306

socket = /run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

# Import all .cnf files from configuration directory

!includedir /etc/mysql/conf.d/

!includedir /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/

[mysqld]

default-authentication-plugin=mysql_native_password