Rsync port (873) is blocked for MDC Berlin (Germany)

Dan.Mu...@mdc-berlin.de

Mar 13, 2024, 12:21:00 PMMar 13
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Dear Genome Browser admins,

we at MDC Berlin are running a partial mirror of your Browser (genome.mdc-berlin.de)  - since few years now, but I've noticed that the latest mirror processes have failed due to the fact that  hgdownload.soe.ucsc.edu:873 is not anymore reachable from our campus (141.80.0.0/16). The access to https works fine.

Trying 128.114.198.53...
Escape character is '^]'.
^]

telnet> quit
Connection closed.
Trying 128.114.198.53...
^C

Was there any reason for blocking the access to port 873 ? Or ? Can you please indicate how to gain back the needed access so that our mirror stays in sync with your servers ?

To be more specific, the mirroring process runs on a host with IP: 141.80.154.123

Thank you

Best regards,

--

Dan Munteanu

System Engineer

Bioinformatics and Omics Data Science Platform

The Berlin Institute for Medical Systems Biology (BIMSB)

Max Delbrück Center (MDC)

Hannoversche Str. 28

House 101, room 1.60

10115 Berlin, Germany

Phone: +49 (0)30 9406 2997

Web:http://bioinformatics.mdc-berlin.de

Jairo Navarro Gonzalez

Mar 15, 2024, 6:33:28 PMMar 15
to Dan.Mu...@mdc-berlin.de, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello,

Thank you for using the UCSC Genome Browser and sending your inquiry.

Our engineers believe this block is not coming from UCSC since both commands use the same IP address (128.114.198.53). We could also connect from the genome-euro mirror so it does not appear to be blocked by Germany or the EU.

We believe the MDC network is the most likely culprit for the block. You may want to contact your IT admins to ensure your internal network is not blocking this port.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu.
All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly accessible Google Groups forum.
If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Jairo Navarro
UCSC Genome Browser

--