browse your favorite organism's genomic assembly

Ann Zweig

Apr 21, 2022, 5:31:01 PM4/21/22
to genome-announce list
Would you like to visualize the genome of your research organism? Request it now in the UCSC Genome Browser!

In the beginning, there was one sequenced genome: the human reference genome. Better versions followed. Over time, the genomic sequences for a few model organisms became available. As sequencing and assembling became less expensive and more robust, the genomes of many organisms showed up. And the UCSC Genome Browser has been making all of those assemblies available for viewing since the very first human reference nearly 22 years ago. To date, we have fully-annotated native assembly browsers for the genomes of more than 100 organisms ranging from primates to viruses.

With the realization that we could not possibly host every single genomic assembly available, we created Assembly Hubs. Assembly Hubs allow anyone to host and view the genome of any species in the context of the UCSC Genome Browser. Last summer we announced the creation of the Genome Archive (GenArk) which included Assembly Hubs for the genomic assemblies of more than 1,300 species.

Since then, we have taken this a step further by creating a page that displays ~14,000 assemblies: those that are available for viewing and those that can be requested. We currently have nearly 1,700 assembly hubs available for viewing at the click of a button. If you don’t see the organism or assembly you’re interested in: use the page to request it. We will build an Assembly Hub for you and let you know when it is available for viewing.

Check here for your organism of interest: https://genome.ucsc.edu/assemblyRequest.html. If it's not there, request it using the form on that page.

Read more about this in our recent blog post.