New GENCODE "KnownGene" V46 for human (hg38) and VM35 for mouse (mm39)

Gerardo Perez

May 22, 2024, 3:10:32 PMMay 22
to genome-...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello Everyone,

We are pleased to announce the release of the GENCODE V46 (hg38) and the GENCODE VM35 (mm39) gene tracks. The GENCODE "KnownGene" V46 and VM35 gene tracks were built using a UCSC pipeline (KnownGene) and the GENCODE comprehensive gene set to generate high-quality manual annotations merged with evidence-based automated annotations. The GENCODE "KnownGene" tracks are our default gene tracks, which have extensive associations to external sources. This allows for additional metadata on every item as well as external links. The track description pages contain options for configuring the display, such as showing non-coding genes, splice variants, and pseudogenes. The track description pages for these tracks contain options for configuring the display such as also showing non-coding genes, splice variants, and pseudogenes.

Below is a summary of the contents found in each release. For more details visit the GENCODE site.

GENCODE v46 Release Stats
GenesObservedTranscriptsObserved
Protein-coding genes19,411Protein-coding transcripts89,581
Long non-coding RNA genes20,310- full length protein-coding64,695
Small non-coding RNA genes7,565- partial length protein-coding24,886
Pseudogenes14,716Nonsense mediated decay transcripts21,774
Immunoglobulin/T-cell receptor gene segments648Long non-coding RNA loci transcripts59,927
Total No of distinct translations65,650Genes that have more than one distinct translations13,620

GENCODE VM35 Release Stats
GenesObservedTranscriptsObserved
Protein-coding genes21,423Protein-coding transcripts58,457
Long non-coding RNA genes15,126- full length protein-coding44,851
Small non-coding RNA genes6,105- partial length protein-coding13,606
Pseudogenes13,756Nonsense mediated decay transcripts7,243
Immunoglobulin/T-cell receptor gene segments701Long non-coding RNA loci transcripts27,096
Total No of distinct translations44,819Genes that have more than one distinct translations10,833

We would like to thank the GENCODE project for providing these annotations.