Releasing A New Genome Browser Track Group: Single-Cell RNA-seq

Brittney Wick

Nov 17, 2021, 2:34:34 PM11/17/21
to genome-...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello everyone,

We are excited to release a new Genome Browser track group with single-cell RNA-seq (scRNA-seq) datasets for the hg38 assembly. Data generated by scRNA-seq allows us to study the heterogeneity of cells in organs, explore gene expression at a cellular level, and track cellular states in both development and disease.

We are starting with 14 scRNA-seq tracks covering different major organs of the body. Each new scRNA-seq track contains anywhere from 2-19 individual mRNA expression tracks in barChart format. By default, tracks display gene expression per individual cell type annotation and are colored according to cell class:

ColorCell Classification
neural
stem cell
adipose
fibroblast
myeloid
immune
lymphoid
muscle
hepatocyte
kidney tubule
secretory
ciliated
epithelial
endothelial
glia

When available, expression tracks organized by other categories such as sex, donor, sample, detailed cell type, etc. are also included in these container tracks. In all of the tracks, the gene expression is averaged for each item in a category.

Clicking on any of the track titles below will lead to the track description page, which includes additional information and allows for configuration of various display options.

This release includes the following tracks:

Many of these datasets can also be explored interactively using the UCSC Cell Browser. We are interested in bringing more single-cell datasets into the Genome Browser and the UCSC Cell Browser as well as the Human Cell Atlas project. If you have data you would like to contribute, check out our questionnaire.

We would like to thank the publication authors for making these data available. We would also like to thank Jim Kent, Brittney Wick, Luis Nassar, Daniel Schmelter, Jairo Navarro, and Gerardo Perez for building and testing these tracks.