UCSC Genome Browser 2021 year-end update

Daniel Schmelter

Dec 22, 2021, 2:53:47 PM12/22/21
to genome-...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello genome visualizers,

It's been more than 21 years since UCSC Genome Browser published the first-ever human genome on the internet and our team continues to publish new features and data every week. We would like to thank the research community who we support and that supports us, without whom we would not be here.

Our commitment to helping researchers by email will continue in 2022, with a short break in service for the holidays, from Thursday, December 23, 2021, to Monday, January 3, 2022. You can always contact us, but emails may go unanswered until January. Genome Browser learning resources are abundant and accessible on our training page.

Next, we'd like to highlight some of our biggest developments in 2021. Here are a few of our feature and data accomplishments this past year:

  • Release of GenArk, a searchable collection of 1805 interactive Genome Browser hubs for NCBI/ GenBank reference assemblies, including plants, animals, fungi, and microorganisms; bringing the number of represented genomes to 2023! These browsers also include In-Silico PCR and BLAT.
  • Regular updates for COVID19 researchers, including the SARS-CoV-2 Genome Browser (now with 115 datasets, including Omicron and vaccine data) and the UShER/PhyloPlace tool for variant analysis.
  • Improved human genetics resources, with updated data and layouts for GnomAD, dbSNP, ClinVar, GENCODE, RefSeq, CADD, and REVEL.

Thank you again for using the Genome Browser! Happy holidays and stay learning!

 - The Genome Browser Team