UCSC genome browser, custom tracks, make more flexible linkouts?

pfs

Aug 17, 2015, 11:39:06 AM8/17/15
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi - is it possible create a custom track such that clicking on a display item goes directly to a linkout?

For example, I’d like to do the following:
- assume my track shows the human gene NRXN1 (among several entries)
- clicking on NRXN1 in this track would open the OMIM entry, http://omim.org/search?search=NRXN1

I think this can be done using bedDetails but the OMIM link would appear on the details page. I’d like to avoid this if doable.

(In fact, ideally, user would right-click and be presented with several menu options for linkouts - pubmed omin genecards etc).

Is any of this possible? Thanks - PF Sullivan

[[[ pfs ]]]

Steve Heitner

Aug 17, 2015, 4:47:25 PM8/17/15
to pfs, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello, PF.

This is not possible with a custom track, but you may consider creating a track hub. If you are not familiar with track hubs, you can read more about them at http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/hgTrackHubHelp.html.

While the right-click functionality you suggest would not be possible, the direct linking would be possible with the directUrl option (http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/trackDb/trackDbHub.html#directUrl).

Please contact us again at gen...@soe.ucsc.edu if you have any further questions. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

---
Steve Heitner
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group