bigBed file behaves differently in a hub than as a custom_track??? no gene names!

Hendrickson, Curtis (Campus)

Apr 20, 2017, 5:48:24 PM4/20/17
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, msp...@soe.ucsc.edu, Hiram Clawson, Heater, Blair Delane, Lefkowitz, Elliot J

Dear TrackHub folks

Here’s a session and a hub for the question below:

https://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?hgS_doOtherUser=submit&hgS_otherUserName=Curtish&hgS_otherUserSessionName=SR_test_hub_SR10%2D01

https://data.genome.uab.edu/ccts/bmi/ics/ross,s/track_hub/

It contains the de novo contigs from a viral genome sequence, some gene annotations (bed/bigBed) and a set of mapped reads (bam).

I have a problem with the bigBed display, and  a question about configuring default BAM file display.

We created some bigBed files that show gene annotations mapped from similar strains via Exonerate.

When I load these as “custom_tracks” and view them in “full” mode, they nicely display their gene names (column 4 of bed file)

However, when I use the same .bb file inside by track_hub, to comes up grey, with no names at all, and the introns are not displayed, all of which is quite dismaying. I figure I’ve messed up some configurations in the trackDb.txt file, but haven’t been able to figure out what I’ve done wrong.

Hub/BigBed problem screen shot:

BAM file question:

In this session I’ve set the bamfile as a bargraph, but I can’t figure out how to specify in trackDb.txt that it should default to that display mode. I don’t see any tags for that at https://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/trackDb/trackDbHub.html

Regards,

Curtis

PS _ thanks again for your great help in the past!

Cath Tyner

Apr 21, 2017, 9:26:35 PM4/21/17
to Hendrickson, Curtis (Campus), gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, Heater, Blair Delane, Lefkowitz, Elliot J
Hi Curtis!

Here a few suggestions, below. Please respond to this forum if the suggestions below do not solve the issues you're having with your hub - our support team would be happy to help troubleshoot further if needed.

* Specify the bigBed type, e.g. "bigBed 4" or "bigBed 6".
* You might need bigBed 12 + to get the introns as well (this should resolve the color issue also).
* You may also want to swap useScore 1 for spectrum:

From trackDb.txt
​:​

longLabel All Virus Genes
useScore 1
type bigBed

Please respond to this list if you have further questions!

Thank you for contacting the UCSC Genome Browser support team.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subscribe@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

​Enjoy,​

Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---