question about update frequency for refseq gene track

Xiaomao Zhu

May 4, 2015, 1:31:05 PM5/4/15
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Dear Sir/Madam,

According to the discussion thread in https://groups.google.com/a/soe.ucsc.edu/forum/#!msg/genome/ClmwZbanI_g/m4tTqvuKxHoJ, "We generally update our RefSeq Genes track every day with new data from RefSeq". However, it seems that the refseq gene track has not been updated for two weeks until May 3rd, 2015. I a wondering if the update frequency has been reduced or it's just a one-time technical issue.
Also, in the latest update refseq gene track, there are some refseqs that have older verssions. For example, refseq NM_004537 is version 5 according to NCBI record (updated on Apr 17, 2015 03:11 PM and Apr 28, 2015 03:45 PM), in UCSC it's still in version 4 (last modified Mar 15, 2015 03:59 PM). It seems that UCSC refseq gene track is based on older version of NCBI refseq.

Thanks.

Xiaomao Zhu

Steve Heitner

May 4, 2015, 5:24:17 PM5/4/15
to Xiaomao Zhu, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello, Xiaomao.

There was a new release of GenBank toward the end of April which slows down our update pipeline and temporarily interrupted the update process. As you pointed out, the updates have resumed, but some of the latest revisions at GenBank are not immediately reflected in our data. These should be available within the next couple of days.

Please contact us again at gen...@soe.ucsc.edu if you have any further questions. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

---
Steve Heitner
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group