Browser for new organism?

Sanders, Sheri

Jul 7, 2016, 4:16:38 PM7/7/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello,

I’m working on developing browsers for a couple of organisms, and I was pointed in the direction of the UCSC software. I looked on the website and mail servers, but everything appears to point to use of the software or at most, installation of the browser using the human data. I cannot find information on how to set up the browser for my novel organisms using novel data sets. Even the training sessions appear to be based on use, not administration.

Is there anywhere I could find a tutorial/training for setting up my own instance of a non-human UCSC genome browser? Is this outside the use case the software is designed for?

Any information is much appreciated. Thank you,

Sheri Sanders

Cath Tyner

Jul 7, 2016, 6:13:33 PM7/7/16
to Sanders, Sheri, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello Sheri,

Thank you for your interest in the UCSC Genome Browser! You have come to the right place; the browser is specifically designed to host custom assemblies.

Our assembly hub feature allows users to host their genome and related annotations on a publicly-accessible web server and then visualize these within our browser. You can find information about creating assembly hubs on the following help pages:

Public Wiki, Assembly Hubs

Track
​ & Assembly​
 Hub Help

Please review this previously answered mailing list question for additional information on creating and maintaining assembly hubs
​.​

If you do build a publicly accessibly assembly hub, you may request that we add a link
​to it from ​
our public assembly hubs page.

You can also find many resources in the archive of our public mailing list by searching for the topics you're interested in:

If you are new to the UCSC Genome Browser, you might also be interested in some introductory video tutorials about the browser available from our training page:
http://genome.ucsc.edu/training/index.html
http://www.openhelix.com/ucsc

Please respond to this list if you have further questions!

Thank you again for your inquiry and for using the UCSC Genome Browser.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-annou...@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

​Enjoy,​
Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---