Adding permanent private track hubs to local genome browser

Archana Natarajan Raja

Nov 30, 2016, 4:37:04 PM11/30/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Is there a way to add permanant links to our local track hubs to our local browser and keep it private ?

Thanks,

Archana Raja

Matthew Speir

Dec 1, 2016, 1:38:05 PM12/1/16
to Archana Natarajan Raja, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Archana,

Thank you for your question about Public Hubs in the UCSC Genome Browser and how to add one to your own mirror.

To have a hub show up on the "Public Hubs" tab on your "hub connect" page, similar to our list here: http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgHubConnect, then all you need to do is add a line to the "hubPublic" table in your hgcentral database. You can generate the MySQL insert statement using the "hubPublicCheck" script provided in the kent source tree. Here is how you would run the script to create the insert statement:

hubPublicCheck -addHub=http://your.site.com/path/to/your/hub.txt hubPublic

Once you have the insert statement, you just need to log on to your MySQL server, switch to the hgcentral database, and then run the command.

Note that this process assumes that you have both a "hubStatus" and "hubPublic" table. If you need to create these tables, you can find the schema and create statements in this file on our downloads server: http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/admin/hgcentral.sql. (Just search for the table names "hubPublic" and "hubStatus".)

We are curious as to what you mean by "keep it private". Are you not wanting this to be added to our list of public hubs? Or something different? Note that if you follow the steps above, the hub will show up in that "Public Hubs" tab for your mirror only and will be accessible to anyone who can access your mirror.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Matthew Speir
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group