Question about OMIM Genes track.

Li, Wenfu (HSC)

Apr 29, 2015, 5:26:04 PM4/29/15
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi,

I’ve been using the UCSC genome browser with OMIM Genes track and found some discrepancy result directly from OMIM website comparing with UCSC OMIM genes track.

For example when I search for “chr18:29740078-34284315”

The OMIM Genemap search will return 16 OMIM genes after filtering out phenotypic contiguous gene deletion or duplication syndrome.

But UCSC OMIM genes track return 17 OMIM genes with one extra OMIM Number is 608731.

Also, when I search for “chr1:1-2000000”

Despite the UCSC OMIM genes track and OMIM Genemap both return 34  genes, the different is on how many genes have phenotype map key (Which include phenotype map key 1,2 and 3).

The UCSC gene track return 6 genes with dark green color, but OMIM Genemap return 7 genes.

The different is OMIM Number 601365, when OMIM Genemap state it has phenotype key “Robinow syndrome, autosomal dominant 2”, UCSC gene track mark it as Light Gray without phenotype.

I’m wondering there should be some difference on the approach of region search by UCSC and OMIM, and from the Method part I can’t actually repeat UCSC OMIM gene track’s working flow because lack of details.

Can you please help me clarify the flow chart of UCSC OMIM genes track or possible reason for this discrepancy result by two website?

Thank you.

Best,

Wenfu Li