enquiry about the nature of mm9 mappability data

Clarkson, Christopher T

Oct 27, 2016, 7:06:47 PM10/27/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, Teif, Vladimir

Hello,

I hope this is the right address to contact with concerns about the UCSC website-data. I downloaded a dataset from your "Table Browser" window with the following input parameters: "Mouse, Mapping and sequencing, zip file".

This was in an effort to find a measure of mappability throughout the genome (at bp level) and to align these measurements with a previous experiment output of GC content (also mapped to the genome at a nucleotide level), I want to plot and contrast GC content vs mappability.

However there is a problem with the zipped dataset that I downloaded. You can see from the screenshot of the unzipped bed file (attached) that certain nucleotides are skipped... Hence I can't map the mappability measurements to the GC contents as they won't align correctly... I am wondering why the file is organised this way.

If it is just the case that the skipped nucleotides have a mappability of 0 or 1, I can just fill in the gaps accordingly with a perl or python script...

Wondering if you could help clarify this for me.

Thanks,

Chris

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 19.16.22.png

Cath Tyner

Oct 31, 2016, 7:27:57 PM10/31/16
to Clarkson, Christopher T, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, Teif, Vladimir
Hello Chris,

Thank you for using the UCSC Genome Browser and for inquiring about these mappability data. In the screenshot that you sent, I see that there is one score for multiple positions in some cases, but I do not see an example of missing positions. Could you please clarify your question?

For reference, here is the track description page for Mappability,

Thank you again for your inquiry and for using the UCSC Genome Browser.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subscribe@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

​Enjoy,​
Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---