Units for the numbers

Alexandra Belzie

Sep 30, 2016, 11:38:59 AM9/30/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Could you please include the units of measurements in the information you give that have numbers associated with them?
For example:
Inline image 1 I tried googling what the units are value is for genomic size for this database but I keep getting redirected to you FAQ.

Cath Tyner

Sep 30, 2016, 4:25:09 PM9/30/16
to Alexandra Belzie, UCSC Genome Browser Public Help Forum
Hi Alexandra!

Thanks for asking! The genomic size represents the region you are viewing or the annotation you have selected, which is the number of base pairs (bp) from the start to the end. In this case, it looks like you are viewing the GHRL transcript on the reverse strand, displaying loci from chromosome 3, a genomic range of the transcription start position to the transcription end position.

10,292,947 - 10,285,750 = 7,197 + 1 = 7,198 base pairs.

Another example: if we were looking at a region of 1 base pair, which you can see by turning a SNP track on "full" and selecting a SNP, the position would be X - X = 1. For example:

dbSNP: rs9411476
Position: chr9:133252214-133252214
Band: 9q34.2
Genomic Size: 1

​Here is an user guide for navigating the browser:

If you are new to the UCSC Genome Browser, you might also be interested in some introductory video tutorials about the browser available
​ ​
from our training page
​ and on Open Helix.​

Please respond to this list if you have further questions!

Thank you again for your inquiry and for using the UCSC Genome Browser.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subscribe@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

​Enjoy,​
Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---