Automatically set all bigWig tracks to the same y-axis value

Andy Rampersaud

Dec 20, 2017, 11:21:25 AM12/20/17
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi,

I recently set up a session where I have several bigWig tracks along with several other BED files visualizing other genomic features.  To compare signal intensity between bigWig tracks, the y-axis (viewLimits) need to be set to the same number.  In other words, all bigWig track heights need to be set to 12 to see a difference in signal.

To achieve this currently, for each track, the user has to right-click, configure, set data view scaling, set the vertical viewing range.  This is very time consuming if we want to use a different y-axis value for different genomic regions.

Question: is there an easier way to set the y-axis value for all bigWig tracks to be the same number?  This feature would allow the user to set all the tracks to auto-scale or set all the y-axis values to the same number for a particular genomic region (directly from the genome browser page).

Andy
--
Andy Rampersaud
Graduate Student, Bioinformatics

Matthew Speir

Dec 21, 2017, 1:54:06 PM12/21/17
to Andy Rampersaud, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Andy,

Thank you for your question about scaling bigWigs in the UCSC Genome Browser.

You can easily change the scaling for all of your bigWig tracks at once by creating a "multiWig" track with them in a track hub. Since you already have bigWig files set up, this shouldn't be too difficult. You can read our Quick Start guides on creating a hub: http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/hubQuickStart.html, and on creating track groupings, such as multiWigs: http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/hubQuickStartGroups.html, for information on how to set this up.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Matthew Speir
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group
--

---