Highlighting Feature in UCSC

Branch, Justin

Mar 23, 2017, 1:53:36 PM3/23/17
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi There,

I want to highlight my SNVs by color that makes it way down the entire Genome Browser Window. Similar to what you guys have shown here

https://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?db=hg19&position=chr9%3A136136597-136139844&highlight=hg19.chr9%3A136138630-136139650%23AA0000%7Chg19.chr9%3A136136630-136137650%230000FF

How can I accomplish this?

Justin Branch

SMART PREP Program

Baylor College of Medicine

Lab of: Dr. Rui Chen

Rm: T836

(910)674-7587

Cath Tyner

Mar 24, 2017, 7:51:21 PM3/24/17
to Branch, Justin, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello Justin,

Thanks for posting your highlighting question to the UCSC Genome Browser support forum! Below I've included more information about highlighting tracks in the browser window.

1. As you may already know, you can create highlights within your browser window by following the steps described in our tracks help page, at the "Highlighting a region" section
​.​

2. Please note our "Optional parameters in URLs" help section
​, specifically - ​S
tep 2, the "highlight" bullet point
​.

See also: https://genome.ucsc.edu/FAQ/FAQlink.html

You can edit the color of your highlights by editing the hex color code found within the url. In the example you provided, I see the red and blue color codes:
0000FF and AA0000.

Below is an example where the blue hex code has been changed to red:

https://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?db=hg19&position=chr9%3A136136597-136139844&highlight=hg19.chr9%3A136138630-136139650%23AA0000%7Chg19.chr9%3A136136630-136137650%23AA0000

The above steps may provide a solution for you. However, please
​respond to the support forum and ​
provide answers to the following questions if you need further assistance:

We do not have a way to use a custom track as the source of highlighting regions and colors, but we might be able to suggest a simple scripting method to translate a custom track file into a highlight URL or multi-region file. To best assist you, please let us know:
  • Do you need to use different colors, or is mono-color good enough?
  • Do any of your regions overlap?
  • Do you have a BED custom track file already, or some other file format?
Thank you again for your inquiry and for using the UCSC Genome Browser.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subscribe@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

​Enjoy,​
Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---