Query

Talyan, Sweta

Mar 24, 2015, 4:02:06 PM3/24/15
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Dear,

I have used the following UCSC track of 100 vertebrates Conserved Elements, which give information about the conserved elements across 100 verterbrates.

I wish to refer this study in the manuscript for publication. But I am unable to find suitable reference.

Could you please help me with this.

I tried to explore the following webpage but unable to get the reference

http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgc?hgsid=419944183_SK2J4Ac1auCJBa1gXRv9Om61AGWa&c=chr3&o=33040638&t=33040655&g=phastConsElements100way&i=lod%3D78

Sweta Talyan
Computational Biology & Data Mining
Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
Institute of Molecular Biology
Ackermannweg 4, 55128 Mainz Germany

Jonathan Casper

Mar 24, 2015, 11:53:44 PM3/24/15
to Talyan, Sweta, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello Sweta,

Thank you for your question about locating a reference for the 100-way multiple alignment and conservation track on the human hg19 genome assembly. We provide a citation page at http://genome.ucsc.edu/cite.html that contains commonly used references for our site and displayed data. The 100-way track that you refer to is actually included in our most recent update of the UCSC Genome Browser database, found on our publications page; a citation follows.

Rosenbloom KR, Armstrong J, Barber GP, Casper J, Clawson H, Diekhans M, Dreszer TR, Fujita PA, Guruvadoo L, Haeussler M, Harte RA, Heitner S, Hickey G, Hinrichs AS, Hubley R, Karolchik D, Learned K, Lee BT, Li CH, Miga KH, Nguyen N, Paten B, Raney BJ, Smit AF, Speir ML, Zweig AS, Haussler D, Kuhn RM, Kent WJ. The UCSC Genome Browser database: 2015 update. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015 Jan 28;43(Database issue):D670-81. doi: 10.1093/nar/gku1177. Epub 2014 Nov 26. PMID: 25428374

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu or genome...@soe.ucsc.edu. Questions sent to those addresses will be archived in publicly-accessible forums for the benefit of other users. If your question contains sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

--
Jonathan Casper
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group

Talyan, Sweta

Mar 25, 2015, 12:01:17 PM3/25/15
to Jonathan Casper, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello Jonathan,

I have looked at the reference which you mentioned but this paper doesn’t describe the method or the strategy used to retrieve these conserved element from 100 vertebrates (a combination of phylop-HMM and Phast-cons).

I would be highly obliged if you point me to the original paper or the method which describes the how 100 vertebrates conserved elements was retrieved by the combination of Phylo-HMMs, phastCons, and phyloP.

Thanking you for your prompt response and the above mentioned reference.

Sweta Talyan
Computational Biology & Data Mining
Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
Institute of Molecular Biology
Ackermannweg 4, 55128 Mainz Germany

Mar 27, 2015, 11:25:18 AM3/27/15
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Can you please suggest a paper where the term "100 vertebrates conserved elements" is nicely explained ?

Regards
Sweta Talyan

Apr 1, 2015, 6:26:59 PM4/1/15
to Talyan, Sweta, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello Sweta,

The track description page for our 100-way Conservation track should provide you with this information. See the "Conserved Elements" section here: http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTrackUi?db=hg19&g=cons100way. Also see the papers listed at the bottom under "Phylo-HMMs, phastCons, and phyloP" (under References).

If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

- - -
Luvina Guruvadoo
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group

Talyan, Sweta

Apr 13, 2015, 12:24:06 PM4/13/15
to Luvina Guruvadoo, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello,

I have explored this link

http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTrackUi?db=hg19&g=cons100way and also the UCSC 2015 database update paper, but none of the reference described the method to reproduce the same. I want to reproduce the same results and I didn’t get any reference which explained about the method of 100 vertebrates conserved element.

The Information provide in the mentioned two reference is not enough to reproduce these conserved elements using PhastCons, PhyloHMMs and Phylop.

Kindly provide me the details about the method of 100 vertebrates conserved elements, so that I will be able to reproduce the same conserved elements. Or if possible you can point me to the contact information of the group who did this analysis?

Regards
Sweta Talyan

Apr 16, 2015, 3:49:54 PM4/16/15
to Talyan, Sweta, Luvina Guruvadoo, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello, Sweta.

You can find the exact procedures we use to create tracks by looking through the make docs in our source tree at http://genome-source.cse.ucsc.edu/gitweb/?p=kent.git;a=tree;f=src/hg/makeDb/doc.  If you look in the hg19.txt file, you can find the procedure used to create the 100-way Conservation track by searching for “100-Way Multiz”.

Please contact us again at gen...@soe.ucsc.edu if you have any further questions.
Questions sent to that address will be archived in a publicly-accessible forum for the benefit of other users.  If your question contains sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

---
Steve Heitner
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group