track hub reload button?

Noboru Sakabe

Jun 6, 2017, 4:39:55 PM6/6/17
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi, I know I can force the track hub to reload (reread config from
host server) by using a special variable in the URL, but it would be
great to have a 'reload' button in the genome browser itself. Currently,
I have to set a shorter reload time, then reset it when I'm done. A
'reload' button would be very useful.

Also, sometimes my hub fails to load due to configuration errors. It
would be great if the hub would show in the track section but display an
error, and have the reload button right there. This way, I can just
change the track hub configuration on my server, click reload and see if
I corrected the problem.

As of now, I have to go in the Track hub page, connect, then back to
the genome browser, which becomes a burden after a few tries.

I hope you find my suggestions useful.

Thank you!

Cath Tyner

Jun 6, 2017, 6:33:10 PM6/6/17
to Noboru Sakabe, UCSC Genome Browser Public Help Forum
Hello Noboru,

Thank you for contacting the UCSC Genome Browser Support team. Regarding the issue of your hub loosing connection, would you be willing to share your hub.txt so that our support team can load your hub and provide troubleshooting? Your hub should not be loosing connection - can you respond with more details about how your hub "fails to load due to configuration errors" ? Please send this information to genom...@ucsc.edu (our confidential email) if you wish to keep those details private.

Your reload button suggestion is a great one! It is actually already in our work queue, but due to limited resources, I don't have an estimated time for completion. If you would like to join our announcements list, you can subscribe:

http://groups.google.com/a/soe.ucsc.edu/group/genome-announce?hl=en
Or send an email to genome-annou...@soe.ucsc.edu

I will also make a note to contact you when this feature is released - thank you for letting us know your suggestion!

For future reference, we do have a "Suggestion Box" specifically for suggestions only:

via http://genome.ucsc.edu/contacts.html
http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgUserSuggestion

Thank you for contacting the UCSC Genome Browser support team.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subscribe...@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

​Enjoy,​
Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---

Noboru Sakabe

Jun 7, 2017, 11:38:58 AM6/7/17
to Cath Tyner, UCSC Genome Browser Public Help Forum
    Hi, Cath, thanks for your quick reply!
    My hub works now. It took me a while to figure out the correct configuration, but it's been working now.
    One configuration error I often make is to forget to add a space between the "master" track definition and the sub-tracks. Then the hub complains the "master" track doesn't exist and doesn't load.
    Because I share the hub with collaborators, it would be helpful if the hub control was displayed in the browser with an error. I'm afraid that because a configuration problem or my server being down nothing will show and they will not know what to do. Not a big deal, but it would be more intuitive, I think.

    I'll send suggestions to your suggestion box next time!
    Thanks!