Troubleshooting PDF output

1 view

Alex Reynolds

Oct 17, 2016, 7:04:08 PM10/17/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Depending on how label width and font size parameters are specified in the browser configuration, the PDF output has a label column of varied pixel width. I'd like to troubleshoot how this value is calculated. Is there a part of the UCSC codebase specifically relevant to how PDF output is generated?

Regards,
Alex

Chris Villarreal

Oct 24, 2016, 4:45:43 PM10/24/16
to Alex Reynolds, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Dear Alex,

Thank you for your question about the UCSC Genome Browser. We generate postscript .ps or encapsulated postscript .eps output, and then run a standard Unix utility that converts it to .pdf.
The postscript routines can be found here:http://genome-source.cse.ucsc.edu/gitweb/?p=kent.git;a=tree;f=src/lib. The files are named:

pscmGfx.c // virtualization layer
psGfx.c // post script routines
psPoly.c // tiny little polygon thing.

When browsing this code, it may also be helpful to keep in mind the following README:http://genome-source.cse.ucsc.edu/gitweb/?p=kent.git;a=blob;f=src/README. I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

-Chris V
UCSC Genome Browser