Custom Track URL length- too long

Jeff Long

Dec 13, 2017, 6:24:13 PM12/13/17
to ku...@soe.ucsc.edu, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Bob and UCSC GB Folks,

I have many bigBed URLs which I want to make available to a colleague for custom tracks. We are using Track Hubs, but a request came in for Custom Track URLs.

This length of a URL works fine.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/celgeneSuperPrivateBucketNames/DataFolderName/ExperimentTypeName/VizNa/CelgeneDataFileNameWhichIsTheSameLengthAsMyDataFi.bb

This one is too long and throws an error.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/celgeneSuperPrivateBucketNames/DataFolderName/ExperimentTypeName/VizNa/CelgeneDataFileNameWhichIsTheSameLengthAsMyDataFileWhichIsLongerThanIWishItWasButIDontReallyHaveControlOffHowLongMyColleaguesMakeFileNamesWhenThey.bb

 Error Name too long in /celgeneSuperPrivateBucketNames/DataFolderName/ExperimentTypeName/VizNa/CelgeneDataFileNameWhichIsTheSameLengthAsMyDataFileWhichIsLongerThanIWishItWasButIDontReallyHaveControlOffHowLongMyColleaguesMakeFileNamesWhenThey.bb

The latter is much shorter than many of our URLs. How can I update our mirror at Celgene to accept longer URLs for internal tracks (custom tracks)?

Best Regards,

Jeffrey Long

Sr. Data Scientist

Celgene RIKU

1500 Owens Street, Suite 550

San Francisco, CA 94158-2332

(415) 515-8082

THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENT IS
CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY CONTAIN LEGALLY PRIVILEGED
INFORMATION INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL
OR INDIVIDUALS NAMED ABOVE.
If the reader is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please reply to the
sender to notify us of the error and delete the original
message. Thank You.

Christopher Lee

Dec 20, 2017, 2:52:17 PM12/20/17
to Jeff Long, ku...@soe.ucsc.edu, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for your question about viewing custom tracks with long file
names. If you paste the following into the custom track box:
track name="example" type=bigBed bigDataUrl=verylongurl

instead of only the link, your tracks should load correctly.

Furthermore, we have fixed the issue you describe with very long
filenames so you don't need the track line. The fix will become
available in a few weeks after the next release, currently scheduled
for Jan 9.

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Christopher Lee
UCSC Genomics Institute

Want to share the Browser with colleagues?
Host a workshop: http://bit.ly/ucscTraining

Thank you again for your inquiry and using the UCSC Genome Browser. If
you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu.
All messages sent to that address are archived on a
publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data,
you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.