hubURL does not work with European mirror

Toni Hermoso Pulido

Oct 21, 2016, 11:51:49 AM10/21/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, Manuel Irimia, Javier Tapial Rodríguez
Hello,

we noticed that our hub seems not to work with the European mirror. It
actually worked in the past. However it works fine in the American one.

Example:

http://genome-euro.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?db=hg19&position=chr1:23345941-23410182&hubUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvastdb.crg.eu%2Ftracks%2FVastDBhub%2Fhub.txt&pix=800

vs

http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?db=hg19&position=chr1:23345941-23410182&hubUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvastdb.crg.eu%2Ftracks%2FVastDBhub%2Fhub.txt&pix=800

Is there any way to know whether there is any problem and/or can we
report it to the sysadmins of the former one?

Thanks,

--
Toni Hermoso Pulido, PhD
Bioinformatician

Bioinformatics Core Facility
http://biocore.crg.cat
CRG - Centre de Regulació Genòmica (Room 460)
Parc de Recerca Biomèdica de Barcelona (PRBB)
Doctor Aiguader, 88
08003 Barcelona

toni.h...@crg.cat
Phone: +34 93 316 02 02

Brian Lee

Oct 21, 2016, 12:55:39 PM10/21/16
to Toni Hermoso Pulido, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, Manuel Irimia, Javier Tapial Rodríguez
Dear Toni,

Thank you for using the UCSC Genome Browser and Track Hubs and sharing this issue you were experiencing on the genome-euro mirror.

The hub should work now, it looks as though there was a momentary issue with the genome-euro site attempting to connect to one of the files in the hub, specifically the genomes.txt file.  Unfortunately when using the &hubUrl= feature to directly load the hub on hgTracks, an error message was not displaying about the connection issue to the genomes.txt file.  By going directly to the "My Hubs" tab of the Track Hub page connection page, http://genome-euro.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgHubConnect, I could find a displayed error message like the below:

ERROR: Couldn't open http://vastdb.crg.eu/tracks/VastDBhub/genomes.txt Debug Help [Retry Hub]

By clicking the "Retry Hub" button from http://genome-euro.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgHubConnect your hub connection then was resolved and it worked.  It is unclear why genome-euro was having an issue connecting to the genomes.txt file, while the genome site was not having that problem. This silent error issue on hgTracks when using &hubUrl= has been noted to consider alternative ways to notify users of such connection issues.

Thank you again for your inquiry and using the UCSC Genome Browser. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

All the best,

Brian Lee
UCSC Genomics Institute