piRNA at UCSC

Jiang,Jinmai

Jan 23, 2017, 11:32:28 AM1/23/17
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello,

This is Jinmai Jiang from University of Florida. I am trying to obtain all the human piRNA sequences and get an output BED file from the UCSC Gene database, but no luck at all for the last several days.  Could you help me out over there?

Thanks a lot!

Have a great day!

Jinmai

Jinmai Jiang, Ph.D.

Research Assistant Professor
Department of Pharmaceutics

Cancer Genetics Research Complex, Room 470

2033 Mowry Road
Gainesville, FL 32610

Tel 352-273-9119

UNIVERSITY of  FLORIDA | College of Pharmacy

Cath Tyner

Jan 23, 2017, 6:26:50 PM1/23/17
to Jiang,Jinmai, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello Jinmai,

Thanks for using the UCSC Genome Browser. You can obtain this information by using our Table Browser.  If you are unfamiliar with the Table Browser, please see the User’s Guide at http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/hgTablesHelp.html.

The UCSC Genes track contains piRNAS.  To obtain the piRNAs, perform the following steps. For this example, I will use GRCh38/hg38, but you can also choose GRCh37/hg19 if you prefer.

1. Navigate to http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTables

2. Select the following options:

Clade: Mammal

Genome:
Human

Assembly:
Dec. 2013 GRCh38/hg38 (or you can select Feb. 2009 (GRCh37/hg19)

Group:
Genes and Gene Prediction Tracks

Track:
GENCODE v24 (or, if you selected hg19 in the above step, choose "UCSC Genes")

Table:
knownGene (note, you can click on the "Table Schema" button here to see a table description)

Region:
select “genome” for the entire genome, or select “position” and enter the position (e.g., chr21:33031597-33041570) in the text box for a single position, or click the “define regions” button to specify multiple positions.

Output format: select "BED - browser extensible data" from the drop-down list.

3. Next, you will need to create a filter to select only the piRNA records in your output.  For the “filter” field, click the “create” button.

4. In the “hg38.kgXref based filters” section (or hg19.kgXref based filters) , the “description” line should read exactly as the following:

description does match *piR-*

Note that you must type
​the​
 asterisk " * " before and after "piR-" for this filter.

This filter will return transcripts with "piR-#####" id's in the description field of the item. For example,

ID: uc057com.1
mRNA: DQ598170
geneSymbol: AL121992.1
​ ​
Homo sapiens piRNA piR-36236, complete sequence. (from mRNA DQ598170)

Th
​e​
​"
description does match *piR-*
​" ​
filter will exclude piRNA-related items that do not have the "piR-#####" id, but if you want to
​ALSO ​
include items that simply have ""piRNA" in the description, you can change your filter to "*piRNA*" which
​, in addition to including
the "piR-#####" id
​ items, will
include items such as:

ID: uc057kyx.1
mRNA: AF227192
geneSymbol: TDRKH
Participates in the primary piRNA biogenesis pathway and  is required during spermatogenesis to repress transposable  elements and prevent their mobilization, which is essential for  the germline integrity. The piRNA metabolic process mediates the  repression of transposable elements during meiosis by forming  complexes composed of piRNAs and Piwi proteins and govern the  methylation and subsequent repression of transposons. Required for  the final steps of primary piRNA biogenesis by participating in  the processing of 31-37 nt intermediates into mature piRNAs. May  act in pi-bodies and piP-bodies by transferring piRNA precursors  or intermediates to or between these granules (By similarity). (from UniProt Q9Y2W6)

5. Click the “submit” button to complete the filter.

6. Click the “get output” button from the main form (where you set clade, genome, assembly, etc.).

7. Click the "get BED" button.
You should see results like this:

chr21 45898221 45898271 uc002zfb.3 0 - 45898221 45898221 0 1 50, 0,
chr21 45903703 45903735 uc011afg.2 0 - 45903703 45903703 0 1 32, 0,
chr21 45904163 45904216 uc002zfc.2 0 - 45904163 45904163 0 1 53, 0,
chr21 45911601 45911640 uc011afh.2 0 - 45911601 45911601 0 1 39, 0,
chr21 45913121 45913224 uc002zfd.3 0 - 45913121 45913121 0 1 103, 0,

Please respond to this list if you have further questions!

Thank you again for your inquiry and for using the UCSC Genome Browser.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subscribe@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

​Enjoy,​
> --
>
> ---

Cath Tyner

Jan 23, 2017, 7:12:18 PM1/23/17
to Jiang,Jinmai, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello again Jiang,

Unfortunately, one of our engineers has alerted me to an issue with how we have stored piRNAs, and at this time, I cannot recommend the use of the UCSC Genome Browser to obtain piRNA data. We will be looking into fixing this, and I will alert you when the work is complete. For now, I do not recommend the method that was sent in my earlier post, please disregard those steps.

Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subs...@soe.ucsc.edu