what does this mean?

Carmen Iwaszczenko

Jul 21, 2015, 2:53:54 PM7/21/15
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

What is the difference between these two gene entries?

What does ctg5_hap1 mean for Chr17?  And when did this appear?  Our BLAT results to this area today are different than ones ran in December (and both were supposedly against hg19).

Thanks,

Carmen

Luvina Guruvadoo

Jul 21, 2015, 7:08:19 PM7/21/15
to Carmen Iwaszczenko, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello Carmen,

Thanks for your question. chr17_ctg5_hap1 is a haplotype chromosome. You can read more about these haplotype chromosomes on the Genome Browser Gateway page for hg19: http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgGateway. Set the assembly to hg19 and scroll down to the "Chromosome naming scheme" section.

Also note, our RefSeq Genes track is updated nightly. For more info, please see this previously answered mailing list question:
https://groups.google.com/a/soe.ucsc.edu/d/msg/genome/ClmwZbanI_g/m4tTqvuKxHoJ

If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

- - -
Luvina Guruvadoo
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group