assembly hub question

Chen, Zelin (NIH/NHGRI) [F]

Jul 27, 2017, 4:48:55 PM7/27/17
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello UCSC genome group,

Could I create an assembly hub to display my own genome assembly but not public accessed using the UCSC Genome Browser website. Or I have to build a local browser ?

Thanks,

Zelin

Ph.D Zelin Chen

Shawn Burgess’ Lab

NIH/NHGRI

Building 50, Room 5531
50 SOUTH DR, MSC 8004
BETHESDA, MD 20892-8004

Cath Tyner

Jul 27, 2017, 9:07:05 PM7/27/17
to Chen, Zelin (NIH/NHGRI) [F], gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello Zelin,

Thanks for contacting the UCSC Genome Browser support team and inquiring about custom assembly hubs and privacy. By default, a UCSC Genome Browser custom assembly hub is only sharable with others if you provide the url to colleagues. For most users, this level of privacy is sufficient.

For a truly secure option, we suggest using
​ ​
Genome Browser in a Box, a 'virtual machine' of the entire UCSC Genome Browser website that is designed to run on most operating systems (e.g., Windows, Mac OSX, Linux). GBiB allows you to access much of the UCSC Genome Browser's functionality on your own computer. It is particularly directed at individuals who want to use the Genome Browser tool set to view protected data.

You may also be interested in the Genome Browser in the Cloud, a quick and easy script that automates the setup of a UCSC Genome Browser mirror, installed on a cloud or dedicated hardware instance [introductory video]. The GBiC program is for users who want
​an installation
 of the UCSC Genome Browser rather than use the Genome Browser in a Box (GBiB) or our public website.

Please see the Installation of a UCSC Genome Browser on a local machine (mirror) page for a summary of installation options, including the pros and cons of using the options listed above.

Please respond to this list if you have further questions!

Thank you for contacting the UCSC Genome Browser support team.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subscribe...@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

​Enjoy,​
Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---