Track hub failing without error message

David King

Apr 19, 2018, 2:29:01 PM4/19/18
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi, this hub:

http://onishdata.bmb.colostate.edu/hubs/all_elt7/hub.txt

Appears to connect on the track hubs page, but seems to cause an error that isn't reported. The genome browser page simply does not load. Can you please help as to what the hidden error might be? The track document is at

Perhaps an illegal character in one of the filenames?

Thanks,
David C. King, PhD.

Osborne Nishimura lab
Colorado State University
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
1870 Campus Delivery
200 W. Lake St.
239 MRB Building
Fort Collins, CO 80523

Brian Lee

Apr 19, 2018, 3:50:27 PM4/19/18
to David King, UCSC Genome Browser Mailing List

Dear David,

Thank you for using the UCSC Genome Browser and your work building Track Hubs to visualize your data and reporting this issue to us.

It looks as though you need to a the "type bigWig" to the stanza that has the "container multiWig":

track ELT7_smoothed_tag_density
container multiWig
type bigWig

That should allow the data to be displayed. Thank you for raising this to our attention, we have filed a bug ticket to try to capture this requirement around multiWig tracks.

You may be interested in this quick start guide about grouping tracks in hubs: http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/hubQuickStartGroups.html#multiWig

Also, it might be useful to know for the track line, you should try to use [a-zA-Z0-9_] for track names (avoiding periods). We do have software to silently turn periods . into underscores _ as they interfere with MySQL, so you can indeed use periods, but it isn't recommended.

Thank you again for using and helping improve the UCSC Genome Browser by building Track Hubs and sharing this experience. If you have any further questions and reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu messages will be archived on a publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

All the best,

Brian Lee
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

Training videos & resources: http://genome.ucsc.edu/training/index.html